Saturday, January 14, 2006

Costa Rica Travelers: Avoid Cabinas Dagmar

While I am in Russia, I do not have FTP capabilities. This means that I am unable to update my main website, janekeeler.com (thus all the mass changes and updates that occurred over winter break while I was in the States). But, I received an email today that I feel needs to be posted somewhere on the internet, until such time as I can update my Costa Rica Travel Tips section of my site. So here goes:

Hi Jane

I saw that you were recomending Cabinas Dagmar at Punta Uuvita/Bahia Ballena. Me and my boyfriend came home to sweden yesterday (12 jan) after 5 wonderful weeks in Costa Rica. We were spending 2-9 jan, 2006 in Uuvita at Cabinas Dagmar an were supposed to pay 15 dollars per night.

One day were going to the beach and we forgot the sarong so I went back to get it and I found Jose (the owner) in our room. I thought that he was maybe leaving towels or what ever so I only said hi and only told my boyfriend what happened. When we came back nothing was missing. All our money were there and so were the credit cards. We tought just like you that it was a friendly family but we still brought all our “important” stuff whit us rest of the time. We were a bit short on cash the day we were leaving so I paid whit my credit card it was a total of 61.000 colones (about 120 dollars) whit laundry. When I today were checking my account on the internet there is 5 charges from Cabinas Dagmar of a total about 1000 us dollars… I talked to the bank and he have also made a copy of my card and tried to take out money on ATM. He have also tried to make a reservation of a total 600 us dollars but they managed to stop it because there is no more money on this account.

I will get all my money back from the bank but would like to warn people NOT to stay at Cabinas Dagmar.

If you want to respond or ask something:
therese@norstat.se

Kind regards
Therese Eriksson

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,

A similar thing happened to me & my boyfriend. We stayed at Cabinas Dagmar from 9th to 11th of January 2006. The owner offered to keep our moneybelt in a safe in his house, and we left it with him. We paid cash (about 38.000 colones or Euro 65). Only this morning did we notice that Euro 2.000 !!! have been charged to my boyfriend's credit card. We are glad to hear that you got your money back and would be interested to know how long it took you and what you had to do. And whether there are any other people out there who experienced the same?

Best regards,
Mirja

Anonymous said...

Hallå Therese!
F..k, we loved that man, he was so serviceminded, kind, he had(probably still have) a cute little son, sweet little kittens, puppies and chicken were strolling around in the yard...BUT HE STEALS! We stayed at Cabinas Dagmar from 15. - 18.december 2005 - We found out (after coming home to norway) that he charged us 250 us dollar EXTRA for 4 days.

Regards;
Steinar

Anonymous said...

well ladies an gentleman I want to tell you all because of your comments here , last April I CALLED Vindas and guess what he invited me to his
cabins which i refuse by telling him what you all posted here and that i could not send him any one to stay there or recomend anyone to stay there, he denied it completely and today by
reading www.aldia.cr surprise he was arrested and is in jail, for usage
of informatica information and false credit cards etc etc, he will be away for some years and well deserved, I like you all to know sometimes justice is slow but it does come..............
herr laetzsch

Anonymous said...

Yes ladies and gentlemen,please pray for that small boy of Vindas cabinas dagmar that he does not live by example and hope that in the future he can get those cabins and make something for himself!!!
HERR LAETZSCH

Anonymous said...

by amcostarica news english, news paper
Tourism operator faces allegation of laundering cash
By the A.M. Costa Rica staff

A man who operated cabins in Bahía Uvita de Osa has been jailed for two months while agents investigate allegations of money laundering.

He was identified by the Poder Judicial by the last names of Vindas Monge. He is 59, they said.

He was ordered jailed by the Juzgado Penal de Osa, said the Poder Judicial.

The allegation on which he was jailed is that he
used his business to launder money that was obtained by credit card fraud targeting foreigners. The victims were British and Nigerian, said the Poder Judicial.

The perpetrators of the fraud would make fake reservations using stolen credit cards and then cancel them in order to receive a refund, minus certain administrative fees that the business kept, the Poder Judicial said. The transactions were done via the Internet. Agents who searched the location last week said they confiscated 136 million colons or about $247,000
jerry laetzsch

Anonymous said...

conosco bien pero muy bien ese ladron es un ladron completo lo peor de todo es que esta libre otra ves en costa rica lo siento por ademas de no ser tiko da una mala imagen a costa rica .. pagina mas reciente de el http://www.dagmarlodgecr.com/