Friday, September 08, 2006

LOST in translation

I usually don't watch very much TV, although the last year that I was in San Diego I quite enjoyed watching the first season of LOST. Then I moved to Russia and simply assumed that I'd never find out what happened next. Well luckily for me, Season Two is currently airing here in Korea! (This may be because two of the main characters are Korean.) The show is not dubbed - it's subtitled, which is awesome from my perspective... except for when the two Korean characters interact. In the States, they're always subtitled in English; obviously, there's no need for that here. The dialog is not usually complex, so it's easy to figure out what they're talking about based on context and body language (although it would be nice to know what they're actually saying). Anyhow, in the last episode that I saw, Michael steals a gun and sets off across the island in search of his son, and half the cast goes traipsing off into the jungle after Michael. At that point, the Korean man and his wife have an argument (in Korean, of course) about whether or not he too should join the search. He says, "Michael is my friend," to which she replies, "But I am your wife." And I understood that! Granted, I would have understood all that from context, but I actually understood the two sentences! I felt so proud. Now all I have to do is figure out how to understand an infinite number of *other* Korean sentences and I'll have this language down. Sigh.

[Brooke R: Let me just say that I am in awe of how much Russian you learned last year! I'll be lucky if I accomplish a small fraction of what you did.]

On a very different note: Melissa has a hilarious post regarding her vegetarianism. Check it out!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I *heart* you too, Jane. :) Don't forget that I had private lessons and a large cadre of bilingual friends to help me.

Also, it cracks me up that I am now Brooke R again. No one has called me that since elementary school, when Brooke Adamson and I were in Mrs. Thompson's class together, fighting for Brooke-related dominance.

Brooke said...

Brooke R: At least it was just you and Brooke A. At my high school there was me (Brooke S, or BS as some of my friends laughingly point out), Brooke M, Brooke H, and some other Brooke I have since forgotten. Keep in mind, too, that my h.s. only had 200 students...

-the other Brooke

Brooke said...

I'm so glad you're getting caught up on Lost, Jane! My friends here at school and I are HUGE fans. (Let's put it this way, we meet up every single week without fail to watch in and often make up a new rum cocktail based on specific episodes. As if that wasn't sad enough, we also have very elaborate drinking games for the experience and swap theories on a regular basis, which are derived from a combination of engine searches, additional footage from DVD sets and Podcasts, magazine articles and readings of Brothers Karamazov, Bad Twin, and anything else referenced in the show.) Speaking of international screenings of the fab show, my friend who did fieldwork in Kazkhakstan (sp?) this summer brought me back the first season on DVD in Russian. "Lost" translated? "Remaining Among the Living," literally.

annie said...

I remember when I discovered that LOST was on tv in Russia - my host mother wanted to know if I'd heard of Remaining Among the Living. I didn't figure out what the hell it was until it actually came on!

annie said...

P.S. Brooke S, your Russian is awesome too :-)

annie said...

It's been so long since I watched this show in the States it's hard to remember... I only saw it a few times in Russia (dubbed poorly into Russian), although I don't remember if Jin was dubbed or not.