Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Back to School!!

Today was my first day of school in eight years! I feel a little rusty being back in the classroom after so long, especially since the only “classes” I’ve taken since graduating from college were my rather pathetic attempts to learn Korean and Kyrgyz. The students at Waycross College range from those fresh out of high school (most of them probably fall into this category), to those in their twenties and thirties, to those in their fifties! While I’m not the only “old fogie” enrolled at WC (and yes, it totally amuses me to abbreviate it as such) thus far, I’ve only encountered one other person already in possession of a Bachelor’s degree, and she is there simply to take art classes for fun. I don’t think there’s anyone else there in the same situation as myself.

I only had one class today: Physics. I have to admit that physics scares me somewhat. It was the only class I ever dropped when I was at Sewanee, and I did so because I was doing rather poorly. In my defense, I was 19, away from home for the first time, and spending every evening partying like a rockstar. Certainly none of these things apply this time around! It doesn’t seem hard at all as yet, although we covered very little ground in our first class. I suspect it will get tougher as it goes along. Tomorrow – biology and chemistry. I’m looking forward to biology; those of you who went to the same high school as I did and who remember Mrs. Mac probably understand why I can’t say the same for chemistry!

As a side note, WC has super-awesome wireless internet, which means I’ll probably be spending a lot of my free time on campus taking advantage. My mom’s response to this was, “Oh no! I’ll never see you again!” (I have no internet at my house, and have been going over to hers at least once a day to make use of the interwebz.) Of course, she teaches history at WC, so I’m not really sure what she’s talking about :-)

One last tidbit of news – I’ve actually started posting things over on the Brierpatch Cats Blog, although sadly, they're not the happiest. Go check it out. Hopefully there will be some good news over there soon.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Maybe I did the wrong thing, but when I clicked on "Read Our Blog" from the Brierpatch Cats site, I was taken to Green. Spartan. Life., which looks like it was last updated on July 4. Have you posted something since then that didn't go live? Or maybe the link is wrong?

Geotacs said...

it's cool to be a student again... even if you are a little older :)

the world would be a better place to have another compassionate lover of pets who is a vet! :)

all the best to your new adventures!

cheers!

annie said...

Jen - ooops. Gotta fix that. After class. Thanks for pointing that out!

Mario said...

Hey, good luck! I went back to school in my late 20's, and I'll admit that it is a little scary. I was totally psyched for it; but I remember when the syllabus got passed out in the first class, I felt my stomach do a flip -- and that was even before I took a look at what was on it.

I came out with a very respectable GPA and learned a lot, but there were at least a few "good long look in the mirror" moments where I had to grab a hold of myself to bounce back from a grade I wasn't happy with.

Knock 'em dead!

anna said...

Best of luck. I went back to school in my 30's and now have a real viable career.

annie said...

Thanks for the well-wishes. Also, Jen - I fixed the link over on Brierpatch!