Saturday, February 06, 2010

Theft at Brierpatch Cats! :-(

This afternoon - in a brief lull in the rain - my mom and I headed out to the land to feed the critters.... and I forgot my rubber shoes :-( I had them in my hand as I headed for the door, and yet somehow managed to set them down before leaving. This meant I had to wade through the water barefoot - a somewhat painful experience.

When we got to the gate of our land, this is what we saw:

theft2


theft3


theft4


theft5
The lock to the gate had been thoroughly smashed and scratched... and damaged to the point that we couldn't get it open, and had to climb the gate to get in.


Now, if you back up a little bit, this is what the gate looks like from a distance. (We had a LOT of rain today, if you can't tell!)
Behind the van is a shed with a "car port" for the lawn mower...
(Keep in mind that the "road" passing this property is nothing more than a private access track used by us, hunters and those going mudding.)


theft1
Anyway, I bet you could guess what was coming.
Yep... no $1500 Husqvarna lawn mower :-(


theft6
Sadly, all the rain had obliterated any chance of tire tracks or footprints.


theft7
Many drawers and doors in the Spartan had been opened.
Luckily, we don't keep anything valuable in the Spartan.


theft8<>

theft10
We called the cops, who took a report.
Not too hopeful that anything will come of it, though :-(

cops


I guess we're lucky that they put the lock back on the gate when they left, or else who knows where the horses would've gone! And yes, the horses and all the cats are accounted for, safe and unharmed, so I guess that's something.

3 comments:

MLange said...

Fingerprints on the cabinets? Muddy shoeprints in the spartan? That's all I can think of. That, and HOW the heck you get a lawn tractor out through a mudhole...

Regardless, that SUCKS. Keep an eye out in the classifieds for a used, muddy lawn tractor?

Hope they find him/her/it. :(

John from Daejeon said...

You might want to drive by all the local pawn shops and look around. In Texas anyone pawning anything must leave a photocopy of their license, so my thief of an ex-neighbor got busted by another neighbor who wouldn't let the theft go by without doing everything he could to get back his property.

I just bit the bullet and decided to get insurance for all of my property while I am overseas and hope for the best.

annie said...

Well, according to the deputies, the pawn shops are required to supply the local authorities with a list of everything that is pawned (and with a copy of the license of the person pawning the item), so if somebody pawns it, we might get it back. Although in theory this should've happened with my swords when my house was robbed back in 2008, but nothing ever came of that. Granted, $100 worth of swords vs. $1500 worth of lawn mower is a big difference...