Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Funniest. Konglish. Ever.

In the intervening time between my previous trip to South Korea and my most recent arrival on the peninsula, many of the laws regarding foreigners coming here to teach English have been updated. One such update is the requirement that all foreign teachers undergo a health screening - essentially a giant smokescreen which does little to mask the real purpose: testing our urine for illegal drugs and our blood for HIV. And where were my cousin and I taken for our health screening? The Medical Condemnation department!
"Medical Condemnation"

5 comments:

Gwen said...

While it wasn't exactly Konglish, Killer Jane in your bankbook still tops this IMO.

Matt said...

Hah!

Any idea what it's *supposed* to be? I would have guessed Consultation, but I guess it could be 'diagnosis'? Presumably some forms of diagnoses can be condemnations of sorts...

annie said...

Killer Jane was pretty awesome. I wonder if I'll end up with that again this time?

Also, Gwen looked up the meanings of the words. Reservation and Consultation are the only ones that are correct. 접수 is reception and 수납 is payment. Nothing is remotely like "condemnation"!

rrac said...

just reread your "prisoner of wonderland" site again as it was mentioned on daves esl cafe amazing to see you have come back not once but twice. sounds like you have a good life. what happened to you co hort melissia?

btw nice photos

annie said...

hahaha - this is actually trip #4 - definitely not something I would've predicted back in 2001! Melissa and her family currently live in Connecticut - their family blog is here.