Friday, July 14, 2006

The Hermit and the Fat Cat

Well, I don't have much in the way of anything new and exciting to report, although I figured that after the copper pipe post, you guys might want an update. The neighborhood has been quiet the past few nights - no crowds of hooligans in the streets, no firecrackers. The only disruptions to my sleep last night consisted of a catfight (in which Isis was quite interested. I'm sure she would've joined in had I opened the door for her!) and a forlorn dog who decided to sit in the street in front of my house and bark for a while. Other than that, nothing.

The man from the plumbing company, who will be installing my hard-pipe gas lines, came out yesterday. He said that just about everyone in my neighborhood is his customer, and that nearly all of the houses in that area have had their copper piping nabbed at one point or another. So, for those of you who felt that my copper was ganked solely 'cause I'm white, well.... no.

I haven't had much interaction with any of my neighbors as yet, although I smile and wave whenever I see anyone. The man who lives behind me helped me change out my lightbulb on my back porch. No, I'm not incompetent, just short and lacking a ladder. I also met a woman who lives down the street. Today, as I was closing the gate after backing my car out, a little boy at the house next door hollered something at me. As my car radio was blaring away, I couldn't hear a word he said. He repeated himself, and I turned the radio off. Then I could hear him, "That Prince you listening to?" "No, Modest Mouse." Man, I am so white.

Isis is doing well at fat camp, although she doesn't seem to be losing any weight. Her appetite has picked up since I first brought her over, so perhaps she wasn't eating initially die to nervousness. She's been having a ball exploring all the cabinets, shelves and assorted nooks and crannies, not to mention playing with her new kitty toy. She purrs a lot, and seems to be having far more fun than she's had in a while. I wonder how she'll feel when I leave for Korea and she returns to life with the other eleven?


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Isis and her toy


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Isis on the couch. (Chris, notice what else is on my couch!)

2 comments:

don said...

Check it out Jane,

http://everythingsjake.blogspot.com/2006_06_01_everythingsjake_archive.html

someone ripped off this guys copper pipes.

Khakra said...

seems like you a fix-it-all man in your life if you have a thing for tall men. And maybe the cats fight when you're gone, and settle for peace when you're back. They need something to take a big weight off of them