Sunday, April 13, 2008

Miscellaneous imagery

What do you do in Bishkek when the power goes out?
Take cool candle photos, of course!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The official map of Bishkek only labels two religious facilities: the Orthodox Cathedral I photographed last week, and an Islamic Mosque. (Of course there are more than two, but as I gather it, these are the main ones.) Yesterday I decided to check out the mosque. I was hoping for something equal in splendor to the Orthodox Cathedral, but I was rather disappointed: all concrete and tin. I only took one photo, and it wasn't even all that great. I felt rather conspicuous, and wanted to hurry things up so I wouldn't seem offensive.

Photobucket
See what I mean? Concrete and tin.

Photobucket
Meanwhile, I found this ironic. The sign reads:
For the dumping of trash there is a fine of 1000 soms

Photobucket
Likewise. Sigh.

Photobucket
Last night we went to Zeppelin, one of the few rock clubs in Bishkek.
Cadillac, the band whose members we know, was one of three groups who played.

Photobucket
Me and Young Ben drinking beer, before they ran out of beer-on-tap.

Photobucket
Katy and Alyson

Photobucket
Alyson dancing with some Russian dudes.

Photobucket
Katy, Alyson, Chingiz and Akul

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Drinking devyatka! Rock on.

Anonymous said...

O.K., I can do the drinking and dancing probably just as well as you, so I don't need tips about that. But, any tips that you care to share about taking cool photos of candles would be appreciated. Whenever I try, they turn out blurry.

annie said...

They were out of all beer but canned devyatka, so that's what we imbibed..... hells yeah.

As far as the candle shots go, if your camera dial has a "M" setting, use that. It's what I use...