Wednesday, April 16, 2008

More pictures and some car lust

Photobucket
Tan (ТАН) is the most wonderful beverage in the world. The best way to describe it, however, makes it sound rather awful: it's like watery, carbonated buttermilk. Trust me, though, it's delicious. Buy it if you ever get the chance. The above bottle of tan is dill-flavored. I was worried it would be disgusting, but it's even more delicious than regular tan. I've been downing at least a liter a day. Awesomeness.

Photobucket
This gigantic statue of Frunze (wikipedia entry) is located just across the street from the Bishkek train station. He sits atop an eerily anatomically correct horse. You can't tell from this shot, though.

Photobucket
Bishkek train station - obviously taken facing the sun, sorry.

Photobucket
More train station. Too bad the Kyrgyz train system is so... truncated.
I want to buy an old green or orange Lada or Moskvich.
I've been stalking them around the city.

Photobucket
Moskvich #1

Photobucket
Still Moskvich #1

Photobucket
Moskvich #2

Photobucket
More Moskvich #2

Photobucket
A Lada. I think.

Photobucket
Lada #2 ("parallel parked" a good car's width from the curb)

Photobucket
Yum, more Lada.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cars definitely have 'Jane' written all over them.

Anonymous said...

I have very fond memories of a similar green car from high school! Bet you can guess which one!

Brooke said...

Always a Southern girl, I couldn't help but wonder how your dill-flavored Tan might add some zest to buttermilk biscuits... You should experiment and report back! :)

annie said...

w. shedd - I know it *sounds* disgusting... it took me forever to try it, because I thought it just sounded foul. But it is so, so yummy.

Mom - you're not supposed to encourage me! :-)

Caitlin - No kidding! I totally miss that old car. Obviously.

Brooke - I'm a bad southern girl. I've never baked a biscuit that didn't come out of a can. Also, i don't have an oven.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I am a reader from the Philippines. I found your site very interesting. It is worth the visit.

Muriel said...

The subject of those of you who lust for a Lada is very amusing. My son in Baku, Azerbaijan realized that very dream when he got together with some other investors and purchased one, now named The Colonel (it is mustard-coloured).
We just returned from Cuba and they are all over the place there, along with old American cars from the '50's and earlier.
Anyway, if you want a good laugh, check out the Facebook page: Lada Legend: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Lada-Legend/110890462268164. I think you will find it amusing.