Tuesday, March 13, 2007

You know you've been listening to too much NPR when...

...you begin having dreams narrated by the voice of Neal Conan. Given the kind of crazy shit I usually dream about, it's a simply bizarre thing to have happen. But I have been listening to a lot of NPR since the acquisition of my ipod back in January, and I've got a podcast link for you today:

On yesterday's episode of the Diane Rehm Show, the guest was John Sedgwick. He discussed his new book, In My Blood, Six Generations of Madness and Desire in an American Family, which tracks depression and bipolar disorders throughout six generations of his family. If you or anyone in your family or circle of friends has suffered from mental illness, you should definitely download and listen to this podcast. I've already added In My Blood to my Amazon wishlist. (On a depressingly related note, yesterday's episode of Fresh Air addressed psychiatric problems among troops deployed to Iraq and the US military's lack of attention to this problem. Listen here.)

No comments: