Monday, January 21, 2008

Culinary Catastrophe

I should’ve paid more attention back when I was hanging around Nina Mikhailovna’s kitchen every day. Something she used to make me quite frequently was fried tvorog, which I would eat topped with either jam or honey. Now, perhaps someone who knows what tvorog is can help me explain. I’ve seen it translated as cottage cheese, but it is very much NOT cottage cheese. However, I would say that tvorog has as much in common with normal cheese as does cottage cheese, if that makes sense. Anyway, it’s in the cheese family. A cousin, perhaps. I found a wide selection of tvorog in Ramstor the other day and decided to try my hand at frying some up. (I’m not a big fan of uncooked tvorog.) As far as I remember, Nina M simply used to pour some oil in a pan, drop in the tvorog, and a few minutes later there would be some tasty fried tvorog patties, ready to be smeared with jam or honey.

So, I bought my tvorog...

Photobucket

and my honey...

Photobucket

and tried my best to repeat the process...

Photobucket

Unfortunately, what I got was this:

Photobucket
I smothered it with honey and ate it anyway,
but it was thoroughly unappetizing. Yuck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kostia's mom makes these things they call babashki in his family - though I think to the rest of the Russian-speaking world they are tvorozhniki. Anyway, I don't know how to make them either, but it definitely involves mixing some sugar and flour and maybe raisins into the tvorog and forming them into patties before frying them. Kostia's mom gave me an enormous Russian cookbook for New Year, so maybe I can find a recipe for you...

Gwen said...

That reminds me of the time I tried to make ho-dduck, but all of the sweet syrup stuff that was supposed to be in the center... wasn't.

Anonymous said...

Nina M makes the best tvorozhniki (assuming that's what they're called) ever.

annie said...

see, it seemed much simpler when i thought i'd just be frying tvorog. i don't know about all this effort! thanks for the recipe though - i'll try to make it at some point, and let you know!

Anonymous said...

Yuck. Does it taste like Tofu? That's what it looks like to me.

Melissa