Sunday, November 23, 2008

I can't buy a train station :-(

There's an old, abandoned train depot about half an hour west of Waycross on Highway 84 in the small community of Argyle, GA. I've blogged about it here and here, and as you might guess, I've been fantasizing forever about somehow getting to live in it. Additionally, my mother and I have seriously been considering finding some old building which we could move out to her land and use as a cat shelter. (The idea is that we would incorporate as a 501c3 non-profit.) Then, a couple of days ago, an ad appeared in the Waycross classifieds, offering the train station for sale to be moved, $15,000 OBO. We called the owner and agreed to meet him out there to take a closer look at it. It was wonderful! Structurally sound and dry inside. The only problem was that he didn't want to give it to us for free or less than $1000... plus, it would probably cost us at least $15k to move it from Argyle to my mom's land, and that's not including how much it would cost to start fixing it up. Alas, I have NO money, and my mother doesn't have enough cash on hand to get into a project of this financial magnitude. So, I'm left without the train station. But below are some photos to remember it by:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Notice: Do not tarry in here unless on business and then be brief!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, would buy it if I had the money. But I would leave it in the community in which it is located. I grew up near there and hate that so much in the area has gone to decay and that people are so willing so sell off pieces of history. The depot in Homerville, the town just a few miles west, has been renovated and is doubling as a museum and event hall. I'd love to do some preservation there in Argyle... minus the event hall aspect.

Anonymous said...

It has already been moved once -- from Manor to Argyle. The current owner bought the station, but not the property that it's on, and seems to have to have it removed.