Saturday, March 17, 2007

I think my head is going to explode.

So, today was the first day of Korean lessons at the YMCA. Even though it had seemed from the sign-up paperwork that there would be four levels of classes, there are (most unfortunately) only two: beginning and intermediate. During the first hour I sat in the beginning class. The teacher was really nice, but I was totally bored... We were learning hangeul, the Korean alphabet - which I've known for quite some time now. According to the syllabus, the plan is to spend the next four classes continuing to learn the alphabet. While it seemed that most of the roughly 30 other students in the beginning class were genuine beginners, there were a few of us who already knew the alphabet and a good number of nouns and short sentences.... something that the class wasn't going to get to for weeks. They had talked about splitting the beginner class into two groups, as it is so large. I had hoped that they would divide it into beginning beginners and advanced beginners, but unfortunately it seems that it will be divided between English-speaking students and Chinese students (as they have a teacher who speaks English and one who speaks Chinese).

The teacher suggested that those of us who could read the alphabet go to the intermediate class. I, for one, was quite skeptical about this, as Gwen - who has lived in Korea since 2001 - is in that class! She and I should obviously *not* be in the same level Korean class. But during the break at the halfway mark, Gwen told me that I had apparently been "placed" in her class (based on the survey I took when I signed up), as there was a name plate in the classroom waiting for me. She also said that the class was way too easy for her, although it seemed too difficult for many of the people in it. Some of us decided to try the intermediate level for the second hour. (I didn't know if I could tolerate another hour of a, ya, ka, kya, na, nya.....)

Unfortunately for me (and several others), the intermediate class was way over my head. It was conducted entirely in Korean! While I could follow a lot more than I expected, I had no idea how to respond to most of the teacher's questions, and felt like a complete dumbass. Luckily, I was seated next to Gwen, who did a lot of translation for me. Even though the class was totally above and beyond my level, I've decided to stick with it, simply because there is no point to me spending the next month and a half learning the alphabet and simple phrases.

After class, I decided to buy both the beginning class book and the intermediate class book. Unfortunately, given that all thirty or so beginners were on a quest for So-gang 1A (the beginning book), the two large bookstores downtown were all sold out. I did, however, manage to buy a copy of So-gang 1B (intermediate level). Then Gwen and I went to Starbucks and she helped me work through the first several pages of the book. I'm going to have to spend all this upcoming week studying my ass off in order to be even somewhat prepared for next Saturday. It's so embarrassing to think that I've spent fifteen (non-consecutive) months in Korea and yet I speak so little of the language. It's time I did something about that. So that's how I'm going to spend the rest of my weekend. After the nap I'm about to take.

Also, in the intermediate class, there is a Russian woman! As soon as I saw her, I was almost certain that she was Russian, and then a few minutes later, Gwen whispered to me, "That girl's from Russia!" I talked to her after class - nice to be able to talk in a foreign language that I can actually manage - her name is Katya and she's Vladivostock, and she seems nice. It's quite fascinating for me to hear Korean spoken with a Russian accent (although her Korean is really good; she's actually taken the intermediate level class before).

Okeedokee. Off to nap. Then study. Aaack.

10 comments:

annie said...

thanks :-) although i must say reading that immediately after waking up from my nap was a tad confusing!

Matthew said...

Stick with it, Jane! Personally, I'd rather spend 4 weeks Trying something new (though difficult) as opposed to something I already know.

--matthew aka Shadyman

Anonymous said...

This sounds terrific, Jane. I am super envious. I have to get back to my French once I am in Canada. I, too, have lived for long spans in a place with a foreign language and neglected to learn the language very much (Montéal!) and I want to fix that.

How exciting for you!

Diana said...

Hi, my name is Diana and you don't know me. I am 26 and have been teaching English in the US for the last three years. I love teaching, but I have always wanted to live abroad and just have been too chicken to do it. However, I'm overcoming that fear and pursuing my dream...

Ok... I couldn't find another way to contact you, but I started lurking on your blog a bit since I have recently decided to teach English in South Korea starting in August 2007...

You are an awesome writer and reading your blog has been exceptionally helpful and exciting.

I had an odd question, but you seem the right person to ask, so here goes: I'm bringing my cat with me. I know it's hard to find cat food over there, but what about kitty litter? I am a bit worried about that since everything I've read about Korea suggests that waste management is a key issue and that they are not the most cat-friendly country in the world...

Sorry if this seems odd.

You can e-mail me at: storysinger81 -at- gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

So the beginning class uses 1A? What level does the intermediate class use?

Good luck.

I wish I could study Korean formally, but that would involve giving up taekwondo and I just can't and won't do that. Heck, taekwondo is a built-in 90 mins of listening/speaking practice, 5 times a week (at least, usually more).

annie said...

Thanks for the support and encouragement everybody! Unfortunately, it is currently 4pm on Sunday, and I've only just opened my Korean book. And then I set it aside so that I could come here and tell you that! Arrgh. Must. Go. Study.

annie said...

Also...

Amanda - the intermediate class uses So-gang 1B.

Diana - I'll send you an email after I get some studying in... just wanted to let you know that I have been able to buy kitty litter.

Anonymous said...

Ah, OK. I thought maybe you'd bought the 1B to catch up to whatever the class was using only because you couldn't get 1A. I thought maybe the class was using 2A or 2B. (Of course, only now do I see this sentence: After class, I decided to buy both the beginning class book and the intermediate class book.)

Your comment about being here 15 months struck a chord. You know what I hate being told my well-meaning but obviously clueless people? "Immersion is the fastest way to learn. You should be speaking Korean, no problem after living there." Obviously said by people who have never lived abroad or considered the fact that you have to learn a whole new alphabet!

I'm working on 1B now (just started it). The main problem to me is that the grammar and verb forms presented in 1A were easy to recognize. These grammar forms, I have to learn them, then listen for them in real life for a few days before I can use them. I know, I know, I'm weird.

How often does the class meet?

열심히 공부해요!

annie said...

I'm still struggling through the first chapter of 1B - it's definitely going to be tough to keep up in this class, but I hope I'll be able to get something out of it.

The class meets once a week on Saturdays.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there.

I really like the Sogang materials because they make me laugh. You'll see why in the dinner cartoon in lesson 2 and one of the dialogues in lesson 3. Maybe I've had the wrong books, but I've never learned how to say "did you drink too much last night" so early on in a course. (And never heard it coming from a pharmacist!)

I also like that the reading activities are not about glorifying Korean culture. You know, sort of like my college Spanish books? "Tapas are popular in Spain. Let's go to a tapas bar..."

Good luck!