Friday, May 11, 2007

Fire in GA/FL

Well, the Georgia wildfire has shifted enough that at this point in time it is no longer a direct threat to Waycross. However, the fire spread to the Okefenokee Swamp, made its way southward, and hopped the St. Mary's River into Florida. Additionally, there are apparently hundreds of fires currently burning throughout the state of Florida. Now, I am currently a resident of Georgia, but I grew up in Florida, and many of my friends still live there. Below are some images taken by friends in Lake City, FL.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Taken at 3:45pm, Thursday, May 10 by
Stephanie Tyson
(Yes, that photo was taken in the middle of the afternoon)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo by Caitlin St. John - flakes of ash on her dad's truck

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it the end of the world?

Melissa

Brooke said...

There's a couple of intense wildfires in the LA area too, including one on Catalina Island where I once spent an idyllic weekend. Scary stuff.

annie said...

I have a feeling all the LC evangelicals are predicting The End. I mean, they've got the fire, all they need is the brimstone.

Their pictures remind me of the San Diego wildfires in 2003. I took this picture of the ash on my car. You can also see the orange glow to the air. While it did get darker than it was in that picture, it got nowhere near as dark as in Stephanie's shot (or at least not in Banker's Hill!)