Friday, October 10, 2008

Politics, Pets and the Policies of Evicting Crack-heads

The other night I went to Justin’s house (Justin is my ten-year old Korean student), to tutor him in English and eat delicious bibimbap with him and his family. Over dinner we had quite an intelligent discussion – mixing English, Korean and Russian – about politics in the US and Kyrgyzstan. His father said that even though he knew very little about the policies of either Obama or McCain, if he were an American he would vote for Obama. His reasoning was that the election of a black man to the US presidency would prove that the US really is a nation of immigrants, a nation for everybody, a nation without prejudice. I heard so many racist comments against blacks when I was in South Korea, that this was a pleasant surprise. (Of course, I’m currently listening to an NPR podcast on race in the current presidential election, which makes it seem as though such an enlightened view might actually be rather rare...)

With regards to politics in Kyrgyzstan, Justin’s parents were telling me about the similarities between Bakiev (Kyrgyzstan’s current president) and Akayev (the president who was ousted in Kyrgyzstan’s 2005 revolution). Nepotism was a huge problem under Akayev, with his children holding prominent places in the government. Apparently the situation under Bakiev is even worse, specifically with the power held by Bakiev’s son, Maxim:
Photobucket
[
larger version]

There were local elections here in Bishkek this past Sunday. Very few of my students voted; they all fervently believed that there was no reason to vote as the results had already been pre-determined. It was consensus among my students that whoever could pay the President the most money would earn seats in local government, no matter who received the most votes, so why bother? Several students said that if they lived somewhere where their vote counted, “like the US or Russia” (!!!) they would vote, but here in Kyrgyzstan, there’s just no point.
This guy was one of the candidates:Photobucket
Doesn't he look like Frodo with a mullet???

And speaking of voting... my ballot arrived! :-) Perhaps I can finally manage to *not* be disenfranchised in a presidential election. I was able to download the mp3 of the most recent debate between Obama and McCain (better late than never; at least I’m not completely out of touch), and while I continue to be amazed by the fact that the Republicans have an intelligent and articulate sounding candidate, I definitely think Obama won. I understand that repeating your message is something politicians do in order to drive their point home, but the way McCain repeated himself verbatim so many times made him seem to me like a doddering old man. And the whole “that one” thing? Sheesh. Also, citing working across the aisle with that party-traitor Joe Lieberman is hardly a good example!

On a totally different note, the theme of the module I’ve been teaching this past week in my advanced class was honesty and dishonesty, which of course meant we did a lot of talking about boyfriends/girlfriends and husbands/wives cheating on each other. Today one of my students said that all husbands will cheat, and that it’s a wife’s duty to ignore the cheating, and not to confront him, but to do her best to be the perfect wife in order to lure him back. Everyone else in the class agreed with her (and there were five women and man in that class). Depressing! (And given recent events, duly so.)

What else? Minsk, my new kitten, continues to have diarrhea. Instead of receiving medicine at the vet, my vet wrote down the name of a medication to buy at the pharmacy – as in the pharmacy where *humans* buy their meds – and instructed me to give the cat 1/6 of a pill twice a day. I hope it works. With the lack of the “good” cat litter at my pet store and five cats in my apartment, Minsk’s digestive problems are definitely raising the odor level in my home. Gross, huh? And of course, I can’t even begin to look for a home for the poor girl until she’s healthy and 100% litter box trained. She uses the box about 90% of the time, which is an improvement over 0%, but still not acceptable. Sigh. But on the plus side, she is incredibly sweet and snuggly – the others are quite jealous!

And finally, the part of the tale you’ve been waiting for: If you’ve been following this blog for a while now, you’ve no doubt heard of
Ronnie, my crazy old-guy neighbor in the Waycross ghetto who got high, then took off all his clothes in order to “show me his biologicals” as he said. Anyway, he used to squat in an empty house a block away from my Waycross home. (And I do mean squat: it wasn’t his and had no electricity or running water.) Then, for some reason, my mom hired him to paint this extra house that she owns. (She bought it super-cheap hopes to sell it one day, although given the current financial situation, god knows when that will be.) Anyway, while Ronnie was painting the house (in a style described by my mom as “a fuck-up”), he decided to move in and start squatting there. After all, that house has electricity and running water, and as the painter, he’d been given keys. Then he got arrested for possession of crack. As soon as he got arrested, my advice to my mom was to have the locks changed ASAP. She didn’t. That was a few months ago. A couple days ago she saw Ronnie riding his bike, and decided to make arrangements to have the locks changed. That was when she learned that he’d been out of jail and living in her other house for the past two weeks! Because she’d originally given him the keys and permission to be in there, the police said that they can’t do anything about it. After learning this, my mom drove around the ghetto (that being *my* neighborhood, btw) until she found him, then royally bitched him out until he promised that he’d be out by the end of the week. We shall see. Either way, she's having the locks changed at the end of the week, whether he's gotten his stuff out or not.

The thing is, I’d recently decided to try to sell my house and move into the other house (the one currently inhabited by the crack-head painter/flasher)! At the very least, I’d like to put my four Kyrgyz cats in that house so they won’t have to deal with a two-day world-wide trip followed by introduction to all those cats that live at my house. Neither of those things is going to happen if Ronnie’s living in there. I may well have to move myself and the Bishkek Four straight into the
Spartan :-)

6 comments:

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal

Anonymous said...

Jane, you're sounding heartless and humorless. Ronnie is a joyful stray person who has gone thru life causing harm to no one but himself. I'm sure that from his point of view, there he was with no where to stay, and there was that house going to waste (with water and electricity, yet). It would have made perfect sense that he should move in, and keep the grass cut. I wish I could afford to give him the house.

annie said...

I agree that Ronnie is joyful... but you didn't have to look at his "biologicals"!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you are coming home so soon. Alex, Madeline and I are going to be in Macclenny over Thanksgiving. We should plan a get together.

Melissa

annie said...

Definitely! I can't believe I have only three more weeks here!

Pollyanna_H said...

Jane, your mother is a saint; but I'm with you.