Saturday, June 12, 2010

Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge

Mom and I went to the Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge on the Georgia coast yesterday. The place has quite an interesting history - first it was a Southern plantation, complete with slaves, then after the Civil War, it was subdivided and the land was sold to the former slaves. Later, during WWII, the US government decided that this was the perfect spot for a military base. The land was purchased from the descendents of the former slaves for much less than comparable land plots were purchased from white families. After the war, the land was turned into a National Wildlife Refuge. To this day, descendents of the former slaves struggle to get their land back. I have to admit, I see both sides. On the one hand, had that land been all but stolen from *my* ancestors, I would totally want it back. On the other hand, this place was literally crawling with wildlife. Click here or on the image below to see my photos. To learn more about Harris Neck, click here, and to listen to a segment on Harris Neck from Georgia Public Broadcasting, click here.

harrisneck

No comments: