Friday, February 04, 2011

A Seolnal Walk

I'd be willing to bet that most Americans have at least heard the phrase Chinese New Year... although I'd also be willing to bet that most of them have no clue as to what it entails. Additionally, I'd bet that most don't know that China isn't the only Asian country to celebrate a Lunar New Year. The Korean Lunar New Year celebration is a three day holiday called 설날 (pronounced seolnal, with the 'n' being almost silent) and it is a huge, family-based holiday [wikipedia]. Businesses shut down and families load into cars, buses, and trains to travel to their parents' or grandparents' homes for the holiday. For those foreigners in Korea lacking in a Korean ancestral homestead to which to return, it's a rather uneventful time.

After January, when I was teaching extra 'intensive' classes, and working very long, sleepy days, I was quite thrilled to discover that the three-day Seolnal holiday fell on a wed-thur-fri, giving me a pleasant five-day weekend as a reward for making it through January unscathed. I had envisioned spending the entire five-days curled up on the couch, nestled between Charlie and Gwen's dog, Songi (I'm pet-sitting, while Gwen and her family do Korean family things), alternating between good books, bad tv, and wonderful naps. And then the most bizarre thing happened: it warmed up! While the US is completely snowed in, and my friends in the former Soviet Union are suffering through a typical winter, South Korea has stumbled upon some warm weather. The highs have been in the 50+ range (Farenheit; that's 10+ for you Celsius folks), and are expected to stay that way through Monday at the least.

I figured I should take advantage of the unseasonable weather, so yesterday I took a wonderful, long walk (wearing a sweater, no coat) along a rural stretch of the road connecting East Daegu and the neighboring community of Gyeongsan. The full set of 65 photographs from my walk can be seen by
CLICKING HERE. Some of my favorites are below.

Photobucket
The red line is where I walked, from the top of it to the bottom and back.

DSC_0015

DSC_0106

DSC_0067

DSC_0029

DSC_0019-1

DSC_0041

DSC_0123-1

Again, the complete set of photos can be seen HERE.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

That solitary tree pictures blows my mind.