Saturday, December 30, 2006

"The temple of god who is hot!!" and other amusements

I went downtown this afternoon for the purpose of buying Revolution, a heartworm preventative for cats. When I met Mia's first vet up in Seoul, he told me that he had applied Revolution to prevent heartworm, and that this drug should be applied periodically. While I thought the man was fantastic in general (not only was he a fantastic vet, but he was fluent in English and a hotty to boot!), I thought that giving a cat a heartworm preventative was going a little overboard. I thought, don't only dogs get heartworm? Then, two weeks ago when I brought Mia to her vet here in Daegu for the first time, one of the questions she asked me was whether or not Mia was on a heartworm prevention regimine, and if so, what medication. She also stressed the importance of keeping her heartworm prevention meds current. According to Mia's records, she was due for her next dose of Revolution (applied to the back of the neck in the same manner as Advantage) on December 30th, so I said I would come back then (today!) to pick up the medicine. Before going in, I googled cats and heartworm infections, and found out that while heartworms pose a greater threat to dogs, they still can infect - and kill - cats. Here's a pretty good article on the topic for you cat owners out there.

I continue to be impressed with my vet. While I had said that I would come in today, I had not scheduled a time. I entered the clinic, and the secretary immediately knew who I was, "Mia's owner"! The vet came down and talked to me, reminded me that Mia's due for her last injection next Saturday, and sold me my Revolution. She told me that unfortunately she has been unable to locate the brand of glucosamine which I have been giving to Mia; however, she said she will continue to look. (In the meanwhile,
I have located the product online.)

After leaving the vet's office, I decided to walk to the center of downtown (about a 20 minute walk from the vet), where I did a little shopping and saw some things which amused me enough to photograph:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I know that 2007 is supposedly the Year of the Golden Pig and all...
...but I just don't understand how the Eiffel Tower fits in.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Close-up of the Golden Pig


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The cute guy working at the Starbucks asked me if I wanted
"A lot, a lot, a lot of whipped cream" - I said yes. Yum!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
There were several people in various places throughout downtown
holding bilingual "free hugs" signs. Weird.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"The temple of god who is hot!!"
This was on the window of a restaurant selling spicey Korean foods.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The cat's not out of the bag yet! :-)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I took this at work yesterday.
Gwen melted the school's new computer with a space heater.

5 comments:

Matthew said...

Ew, melty computer!

Were they really giving free hugs, or were they being facetious?

BTW, Blogger finally works again for me! (It's about time)

Matt Lipford said...

I am glad to see that even though you had to travel a ways to find Mia, you were able to find excellent veterinary close by. I think all cats deserve to be healthy and happy.

The poor computer! Does the computer still work, or was the damage just to the chassis? It's always good to bear in mind that heat is the sworn enemy of computers.

Brooke said...

Ok, seriously, when I saw that first picture, I thought: "PIGS!"

You're awesome.

Unknown said...

Haha wow, of all the ridiculous mistranslations out there...so the Korean says "the spicy rice cakes that only the gods of spiciness ate...temple [I guess "temple" is the name of the restaurant] rice cakes."

But, "The temple of god who is hot!!" is way more badass. I only wish they'd spelled it "hott."

I'm scared of the free hug people. Who does that??? And does the fact that they went out of their way to point out that they're free suggest that some people charge for hugs? Double weird.

moosh
p.s. Brooke is right. You are awesome. Or even, an awesome. No, the awesome.

Aliqux said...

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=d6a6e5a577af0b83c1380d45ce7be57b.1213531&fr=yvmtf

I think this is a wonderful campaign. It's obviously spreading.