Saturday, December 15, 2007

Ponies, Kittens and Parties

So, for the THIRD time since I've been home, I willingly got on a horse. This time it was actually for an extended period, at Kickin' K Stables, the place where my mom has her weekly lesson. I've been planning to go pony-trekking at some point when I'm in Kyrgyzstan, and I figured I should probably do some riding here first. I rode a short, fat, and adorably cute pony with the unlikely name of Rambo. I don't have any pics of me on him, although I do have some shots of him once our ride was finished. (Also, I am really sore from just an hour of riding. Pony trekking is going to kill me. Er, no physical harm.)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Isn't he adorable?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I wish you could tell from this how fat he really is!

The barn also had kittens... and you know how I love kittens. Don't worry, I didn't take any home, I just took some photos:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Such cuteness!

And speaking of catness, apparently my utter stench of catnip extends all the way to K-stan, even though I'm not there yet. Check out this email I got from someone over there:

I meant to write earlier, but for some reason, a lot of the internet cafe computers can't fully access facebook, to my routine frustration. When do you arrive in our fair city? I noticed that you worked at the America Home in Vladimir a couple years ago - do you know Sara [...]? She's there now on her second year, I think. Also, as it appears you're quite the cat-lover, would you be at all interested in adopting a couple darling furballs living at the school with me now? Hope to hear from you soon!

Sigh. There is no escape. I *am* a cat lady.

I'm having friends coming in from out of town for the weekend for our vaguely annual pseudosolstice party. The weather here has been gorgeous the past couple of weeks: blue skies and temperatures in the 80s. (I know we're in the South, but it is not supposed to be this warm in December!) Well, sadly it seems that the weather gods have decided that this is the weekend to rectify the temperature situation. Check out the forecast. And keep in mind that our "festivities" are scheduled for Saturday. Boo!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Jane: I think we confirmed that you were a cat lady a long time ago.

;)

Anonymous said...

It's not even winter yet. I remember growing up in South Texas where one Christmas would be sunny and 85 and the next one would be 38 and drizzly. By the time I hit 30, it had only froze three times during my lifetime down here. However, since 2004, it has frozen (and even snowed--for the first time in 109 years) four times. Most people from this area have a hard time believing in global warming as our winters are colder now than they have ever been during "our" lifetimes. Scientists claim that this is actually an effect of global warming where some locations actually have colder winters.
This is hard to swallow as we have also been waiting for the plethora of super hurricanes to wipe out the Texas coast after the forecasters declared that Rita and Katrina are only the beginning. The last two years were strangely silent.

The planet Earth is billions of years old. People may end up wiping themselves off the face of the planet, but it will keep on spinning for quite a while longer.

Brooke said...

Wah wah. It was nine below when I was driving home last night.

:P