Saturday, March 29, 2008

Vet care in Kyrgyzstan (UPDATE 2)

UPDATE (01 Apr 08) - Lucy seems to be doing well again. They didn't completely sedate her when they stitched her up, they just used local anasthetic, so she didn't have a bad reaction to that. The initial dressing, which she had ripped off as soon as she regained full consciousness, was of gauze; this time they gave her one of a thick fabric, which she hasn't eaten through yet. She's still sluggish and hasn't started playing again, but she doesn't seem to be in pain or anything, which is good.

Photobucket
Lucy with her new and even more ridiculous get-up

UPDATE (31 Mar 08) - Lucy was doing fine, and had finally gotten her appetite back, and was even running about playing with the other cats like everything was normal. Then last night she ripped her stitches out, leaving a giant gaping hole in her belly. On the plus side, she didn't seem to notice this, and it wasn't causing her any visible discomfort. However, a giant gaping hole into one's guts is never good for one's future health, so I took her back to the vet this morning to get stitched back up. I'll pick her up this afternoon, and I'll let you know how she does. Thanks for the well wishes!

***
I was finally able to get Lucy spayed on Wednesday, and let me tell you, had I known how horrible it was going to be on her, I don't think I would have done it. Now I am a HUGE proponent of spay/neuter programs, and have even done some volunteer work helping to get feral cats fixed so they won't be able to reproduce in the wild. But that was all in the US where vet care is usually pretty good. Anyway, I dropped Lucy off Wednesday morning at around 10:30am and picked her up at 4:30pm. She was essentially catatonic and stayed that way the rest of the evening. At one point, I was holding her, trying to keep her warm as she had developed a chill, and she peed herself (and all over me too), and she didn't even react. I was convinced that she was going into shock and that she might die on me. It was really a rough nigh; I didn't get much sleep. She was a little better the next day, although she refused to eat or drink anything (including canned catfood and kefir) until late Friday afternoon. She's definitely doing better, but the whole thing was hell on her - I've gotten numerous cats spayed over the course of ym life, and I've never had one react like this.
Photobucket
Right when I brought her home

Photobucket
Thursday

Photobucket
Thursday

Photobucket
Thursday - refusing both milk and kefir



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's soul-crushing. I hope she recovers completely.

Heather Jefferies said...

I did have one like that and I'm not sure I can blame the vet as her litter mate went in at the same time and came back fine. She spent one week under the bed, no fluids, no food, and no fluids out. We were sure she was going to die. It took about 3 months before she was right again but then everything seemed fine. I think some animals just don't have it in them to recover well. Good luck with this baby.

Pollyanna_H said...

Poor baby - and how hard on you too. I hope she gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

It happens with people too. Some people just have bad reactions when they go under. Last year, my surgeon thought I was a goner when my appendix burst, and not from the shock of the burst appendix either, but from my reaction to the knock-out gas.

Gwen said...

That's heartbreaking. I hope she makes a full recovery - and soon.

In other sad animal news, it's now chicks-in-plastic-bag season here. I made a copy paper box home for Terry's chick last week. I asked him the following day how the chick was doing. He said, "My mom threw it in the trash." Another student asked if his mom had killed the chick, but he laughed and said, "No, she just put it in the trash."

:(

This caused the whole class to start joyfully comparing animal cruelty stories. I don't like getting up on a cultural soapbox with 3rd graders, but I gave the kids a terse lecture on treating animals with respect. I told them that anyone who would hurt a defenseless animal for fun has a "black heart." The offenders looked somewhat remorseful.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for speaking out, Gwen. I had high school students in Suwannee county tell me about burying chickens up to their necks and then going over them with a riding lawnmower. I, too, gave them a talking to, but it seemed to be so much a part of their culture, I doubt that it made an impression.

don said...

I hope the cat Lucy will be ok. She's a nice looking cat with her calico pelt.

I had my cat fixed and there wasn't the huge dressing. There wasn't any such dressing. I'm surprised that her sutchers could be opened up that easy even though all cats pick at them. I wonder about the vet standards where you are just looking at that dressing.

Anonymous said...

Did you see this little news nugget from your town?

http://www.local6.com/news/15757528/detail.html

Damn! Rough place!

Mike B

annie said...

Holy shit, that is insane! Thanks for the link...

Anonymous said...

The school system has been in crisis here, with the administration apparently siding with the students against the teachers in cases of physical conflict. These kids seemed to have thought they could take it to the ultimate and no one would care.