Sunday, March 09, 2008

Women's Day Paint Party

Saturday was Women's Day, which as I've mentioned in the past is a BIG DEAL in the former Soviet Union. While it was quite nice to get flowers and chocolate from my students, I could've done without the attendant drama (the unwanted attentions of the married man and the creepy twik guy, for example). Sigh. Why is it always the creepy and/or otherwise taken ones who are interested? Seriously, what gives? Ahh well.

My friends and I celebrated the holiday in a rather unorthodox fashion: we painted my kitchen/living room orange! Well, more of a bright peach, really. It's *exactly* the color I want to paint my kitchen in Waycross, and after seeing the results I'm even more convinced that this is the correct color choice. Anyhow, I posted only a couple of paint-party photos below, but there's a whole album of hilarious shots on facebook, which you can view by clicking here. Enjoy!


Photobucket
Before.

Photobucket
Mixing the paint was an interesting affair. See, here in K-stan, you have to mix your paint yourself. There's no friendly Lowe's or Home Depot staff member to do it for you. We were rather worried as to how it would turn out. Luckily, it turned out beautifully.

Photobucket
Voila! My new kitchen/living room!

Seriously, go here to view the full set of photos. Some are quite hilarious.

4 comments:

Pollyanna_H said...

Hi Jane, it looks lovely. (I've been lurking on your blog for a few weeks now - ah the vicarious pleasure of travelling by web ...!). Which of the Facebook photos is closest to the "actual" colour do you think?
Cheers
Christine (from NZ)

annie said...

Thanks for joining us :-)

I'd say the "after" photo (posted above as well) is pretty accurate for representing the actual color.

Brooke said...

Pretty! My sister's bedroom in Anchorage is maybe a shade or two darker, and I love it in there too.

Matthew said...

Mix-your-own paint? Yikes.

It's hard enough to get a certain color, even WITH computer-assisted, laser-guided dispensers, and industrial-grade paint shakers.

At least it turned out well! :)