Friday, April 09, 2010

Bishkek before the blood

Bishkek wasn’t always bloody. I’ve been glued to the internet for the past couple of days, doing my best to follow what’s going on over there. I have spent so much time in Bishkek, and have literally walked all over the city. I know downtown Bishkek so well that it’s like an old friend… and watching video clips of the violence in the city center is like watching an old friend get punched in the face. Or shot. It’s horrible, and yet I can’t look away.

I went home last night, dug out my external hard drive, and began looking through the pictures of my time in Bishkek. I needed to see the place *without* the blood. If you’ve watched any of the videos or looked at any of the photos I’ve linked to in the previous posts, you’ve no doubt seen the same few buildings in the background over and over. Here they are in better times.

Bishkek Center


Bishkek Center


Bishkek Center


Bishkek Center


The Kyrgyz White House


Toasting Bishkek


Katy, Josh, Derek and Ben


Josh, Derek and Ben


Me and Katy

I just uploaded a whole bunch of my old Bishkek photos to flickr (for some reason, when I was in Kyrgyzstan I never uploaded a Bishkek set, just sets of my travels outside of Bishkek), so please CLICK HERE to check them out. It’s what the city *should* look like.

My father called me last night to ask if I’d heard about what was happening in Kyrgyzstan, saying essentially: I bet you’re glad you’re not there now! To which my response was: No way! I’d go back in a heartbeat. Even right now, I wish I were there.

No comments: