Thursday, April 08, 2010

More updates from Kyrgyzstan

Rioting has devolved into looting. Why, why, why must looting and destruction accompany protest and revolution? I understand the need for protest, the need to oust Bakiev. I do not at all comprehend the looting and destruction that has accompanied it... but it seems that this always happens (not just in Kyrgyzstan, but all over the world, when such situations arise). What is particularly distressing, is that I have seen so many pictures of businesses where the owners have posted signs reading, "We are with the People!" - and yet these businesses have been looted and destroyed nonetheless.

The opposition has claimed control of the government, if not of the looters, under the leadership of Roza Otunbayeva. I'm still trying to figure out what's up with Bakiev, as far as his location and what his intentions are.

Here's what my friends in Kyrgyzstan have to say:

This is from a friend who works for a US NGO in Bishkek:
Hello All, Thanks for your emails. Just wanted to let you know that I'm doing fine. They moved us to a "safe house" which meant we missed most of the action. Things are changing quickly. It seems like either we'll be evacuated to Kazakhstan or we'll go back to work :)

Yesterday there was a lot of shooting right outside our office since we're down the street from a National Guard building. Today, the city seems strangely normal. The streets are busy with cars and lots of people are walking around. People are also already cleaning up after the looting that happened during last night.

I'll try to send more updates when I get a chance.


This is from a former student of mine who lives in Bishkek:

Thanks for the message. Everything's ok. Me and my family sitting at home watching news. Goddam stupid politics are using the village youth. Bishkek is being looted like last time.

This is from another former student. She is studying in a high school in the US, but her family is in Naryn, Kyrgyzstan (where there has been unrest, but as far as I can tell, nothing like in Bishkek and Talas):

Hi Jane! Yes, I talked with my family and friends and they are all safe and everything is Ok; thank you :D

And this is from a Korean family (yes, I said Korean; not a typo) I am friends with, also living in Bishkek:

Thank you for your concern! We're staying at home and not going anywhere right now..
Hope everything ends soon. well, the change to the gov-t has already been made...

I'm still trying to get some info on The London School, where I lived and worked when I was in Kyrgyzstan. The VEFA Center, located less than a block from TLS has been looted, so I am a little worried.

My friend and former student Elena (who has been blogging like mad about this from her current home in Tennessee) has collected a large amount of photos of Bishkek in its current state from her contacts, and she has posted them on flickr. I highly recommend checking them out.

Not much has changed news-wise since last night, but this is a good article, with numerous photos and videos: Opposition says it's in control of Kyrgyzstan after riots.

No comments: