Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A day in Gyeong Ju

Yesterday was the first day of my 6-day long Chuseok vacation. [Chuseok, a holiday commonly explained to English speakers as "Korean Thanksgiving" is held in the fall, dates varying in accordance with the lunar calendar. It's a time for honoring one's elder family members and one's ancestors. You can read more about it on wikipedia.] Yesterday I decided to take a day trip to the small town of Gyeong Ju [see wikipedia], one of my favorite places in Korea. The Weather Channel had been forecasting rain... but aside from about thirty minutes of clouds around 1pm, the day was gorgeous. I took nearly 400 photographs, and ended up with 143 edited and uploaded to flickr - you can view them all by clicking here, and I've posted some of my favorites below. Enjoy!

bulguksa2
Bulguksa Temple [wikipedia]

bulguksa4
Bulguksa

bulguksa12
Bulguksa

bulguksa20
Bulguksa still has their 2007 Year of the Golden Pig decor on display

orchid3
Orchids at Bulguksa

seokguram5
View from Seokguram Grotto [wikipedia]


flowers27

Flower fields with tombs in the rear, different focal lengths

flowers38
Ancient tombs

No comments: