Wednesday, October 04, 2006

An evening with the Yu family

Last night as I was eating my dinner, there was a knock on my door - it was Mr. Yu, my landlord (and cable thief). He said that when I finished my dinner, I should come downstairs and have coffee with him and his family. It turns out that all of his family has assembled for the Chuseok holiday, so I got to meet the entire Yu clan: his father, sister, three brothers and his nephew. Mrs. Yu and Sister Yu stayed in the kitchen, while the Yu men and I drank coffee in the living room. (Something about the situation made me feel like Mary Russell in O Jerusalem, although I know that's not exactly applicable!) One of Mr. Yu's brothers ("David" Yu), lives in Hong Kong, and travels on business all over the world... and has traveled to Russia numerous times. He speaks fluent English and a little Russian, so we chatted in both languages. It was somewhat disconcerting to be spoken to in Russian by a Korean! He gave me his business card, and said that if I'm ever in Hong Kong, I should give him a call. (He also said that all-inclusive - airfare, food, hotel - trips from Korea to Hong Kong in the off-season run about $350 for 4-5 days. Maybe I'll go to Hong Kong sometime!) Then Mr. Yu (landlord) asked me if I like to drink beer. (Yes.) So we (including the women in the kitchen) maneuvered down the street to the Loss Time Bar (It has a Konglish name. I'm assuming they mean "lost time" which is quite an appropriate name for a bar!), where we had beer and Korean bar-food. (I ate the strange fish they ordered, but passed on the dried cuttlefish.) When we returned to the villa, Mr. Yu (landlord) asked me if I could ride a bike. (Yes.) There's been this bike outside of our gate for a while now - he said that someone abandoned it there, so now it is mine. Although to be honest, it looks as though it might have some problems. Anyway, it's now inside the villa courtyard.

1 comment: