Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I wish I could blame this on someone:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I was trying to illustrate a story for my students.
What do you think that is in the tree?

And now for my daily updates on the goings on in North Korea and in Russia:

China comments on North Korea: The North Korean nuclear crisis settled into diplomatic debate Tuesday, with China agreeing to punishment but not the severe U.S.-backed sanctions that it said would be too crushing for its impoverished communist ally. [read story]

Meanwhile, North Korea stated that "If all out sanctions are implemented, we will take it as a declaration of war" [read story] [related]

There was another assassination in Moscow today, this one of a bank manager. [article] That makes the second assassination of a bank official in Moscow less than a month. [article] With another contract-style assassination following right on the heels of the assassination of Politkovskaya, one begins to wonder: did someone read the Russian Debutante's Handbook and take it seriously? Stop watching The Godfather, take off those sunglasses, stop pretending it's 1994, and above all... stop shooting people! Sheesh.

In general, I like Putin. He became the president of a state which had been wrecked by the inept leadership of Yeltsin and which had been overrun by the Russian mafia... no, he's far from perfect, but the country has improved a lot since he took the helm. But this statement of his angers me: "This murder has done more damage to Russia — and the current authorities of Russia and Chechnya, which she has been covering lately in her work — than Politkovskaya's articles." [read article]

Also, if you're interested in reading some of the things that Politkovskaya wrote, the BBC has some quality excerpts online here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your tree looks a lot like a mushroom cloud with the lovely dove of peace going up in smoke :-)
Oprah had a segment on North Korea today with some secret footage of the country. My goodness, it looked insane. Lets hope the dear leader is not as equally insane enough to dclare war on the U.S. as he has been threatening. I am not up for being drafted anytime soon. In other news, I am horrifed that none of the major networks have reported upon the death toll of the Iraq War being over 650,000 people. This is a great deal over the 1-200,000 thousand people which the administration claimed had dies thus far in the conflict. The weight and magnitude of such a number does not seem comprehensable in a war on terror which as claimed upmost 3,000+ American civilians on 911 and 2-3000 American soldiers. Is this really worth the costs in either money or life.

Anonymous said...

My guess that the drawing was of a squirrel with a nut turned out to be right. But then I'm been looking at similar 'artwork' since first grade!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I also see a squirrel with a nut in the tree and a bird on top. Great work! I have a similar picture I drew for my students to help them remember the difference between positive and negative skew. I'll e-mail it to you, let me know what you think it is.
Melissa

annie said...

for those interested, melissa emailed me a picture that i thought was supposed to be a chicken. turns out it was a mouse.

:-)

Anonymous said...

It may have something to do with the fact that you and Melissa both learned to 'do art' in the schools of Lake City, FL.

Unknown said...

Haha I thought it was a worm....an awfully large worm, holding an awfully small apple. It's cute though, whatever the hell it is!

My parents have been in the motherland since last Friday...it's an interesting time for them to visit, no? Things just worked out that way, but apparently it's nothing new for them. I talked to them a couple days ago and they said people (including themselves, I guess) are more upset than scared...I mean, people of my parents' generationg grew up with the North Koreans digging tunnels to the South Korean president's residnce and such and my mom was born while her family was taking refuge in Busan, so it's not like South Koreans aren't used to having this scary crazy neighbor up north. How's teaching going lately? I'm getting better at it, but I have an awfully lonely life right now--too busy and drained to invest anything in making a social network, and I love my roommate but we hardly see each other because of our schedules. Sigh. The super-tight-knit dynamic of the AH was maybe a little too much, but I miss it these days.

Moosh