Tuesday, August 14, 2007

You know you've been in Korea too long when...

My friend Melissa accompanied me on my very first trip to South Korea back in 2001. Here's an excerpt from an email I received from her the other day:

I just copied you on an e-mail that I sent to my nephew, Joseph. He is going to Korea August 10 - 23. He has only traveled in Mexico before, so I am a little worried about him since Korea is so different. I don't have the details, but I assume that he is going with a church group. If he contacts you and is lost and hungry on the street, will you please invite him to your house and give him some food and help him find his way back home? I'm mostly kidding of course, I assume that he will be just fine. But you know, he's still a baby to me, so just in case.

My first thought was, What does she mean by "Korea is so different"? Korea isn't different. That thought was followed by I've definitely been here too long!

2 comments:

Gwen said...

What does that say about me?? All I need now is a face-covering sun visor and pair of rubber shoes to become a card-carrying ajjuma!

I noticed a while back that I've completely adopted the Korean eating pose. I'm now most comfortable on the floor with one foot tucked under my butt while the knee of my other leg is pulled up to my chest. I end up sitting this way even when I am in a chair.

Unknown said...

Korea doesn't really seem that much differnet. When you go to Japan... thats different. haha

Korea seems an extension of the US where they speak a differnet language and eat a few different foodz.