Sunday, December 28, 2008

A postal miracle!

Before I left for Kyrgyzstan, my mother asked me to buy her a Kyrgyz saddle while I was there. Early on in my trip, I found an antique wooden saddle for about $14. In late October, shortly before returning to the US, I shipped it home. You may remember the story: I spent a ridiculously long time in the post office, spent $100 on shipping AND they managed to insert my absentee ballot into the box instead of mailing it to its proper destination. Anyway, after being home for nearly two full months, both my mother and I had given up on the saddle ever making it to Waycross. I figured it was being ridden around Kyrgyzstan by whoever acquired my fitted sheet and my chocopies, and whatever else the Kyrgyz post stole from me.

Photobucket
The box, in its hand sewn linen sack

Photobucket
Hand stitching and a wax seal

Photobucket
A closer look at the wax seal of the Bishkek Post Office

Photobucket
Hand stitching and seals

Photobucket
Mom gets her saddle

Photobucket
The saddle in all its glory :-)

Photobucket
And, of course, my ballot.




2 comments:

don said...

That's really a cool saddle. Well worth the extra cost. What a great gift!

Anonymous said...

This gives me some hope that my shyrdaks will arrive in the U.K at some point in 2009. Yay!