Monday, November 20, 2006

Bibimpap, Galbi and Kimchi in the Deep South

Apparently, the Atlanta, GA area is a popular spot for Koreans to relocate to.

Atlanta, the home of CNN, Coca-Cola and Delta Airlines, is quickly emerging as a new Korean stronghold in the southern U.S. Following L.A., New York, Miami, and Virginia, Atlanta is becoming home to the next biggest Korean community. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the number of Koreans in Georgia was 30,000 in 2000. Including all the Korean international students, that number is thought to be more like 100,000-150,000 now. [read entire article]

Who knew? I'm just excited by the fact that when I return to the States I'm going to be living reasonably close to a source of my favorite Korean dishes. Woohoo!

3 comments:

DCP said...

Is it similar climates or something? A lot of Vietnamese people move to the Louisiana/East Texas area because the humid, swampy climate is a lot like Vietnam.

If I am to believe anything pulitzer prize winner Robert Olen Butler says, that is.

annie said...

Kinda.... South Korea's on roughly the same latitude as Tennessee and North Carolina, although its humidity in the summer is far more reminiscent of Florida...

Matt Lipford said...

My boss is Korean. He just returned from his first trip to Korea; he was there with his mother for about two weeks. I will tell him about this blog when I see him next. I wonder what he'll think of it,or if he can provide any insight about it...