Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Disposable incomes, glass ceilings, and the attitude towards female employment in South Korea

The following conversation took place last week in one of my middle school girls’ classes:

Student 1: Teacher, you go to Russia?
Me: Yes.
Student 2: Did you go to Siberia?
Me: Yes.
Student 1: It was very cold?
Me: No, not really. I was there in May. [I take a minute and re-think my automatic answer. I mean, I did ride a motorcycle across a frozen lake and all…] Well, it was a little cold.
Student 1: Teacher, you go to Australia?
Me: No. I really want to, but I haven’t yet.
Student 3: Why not go Australia?
Me: Well, I don’t have enough money.
Student 2: But, you have a job!
Me: Yes, but every month I send almost all my money to America to pay for my house.
[all students look puzzled]
Student 1: But teacher, your father work, yes?
Me: Yes.
Student 1: And your mother work, yes?
Me: Yes.
Student 1: Then why? With money from academy… you travel!

They seemed unbelievably confused when I tried to explain to them that my income is not disposable, and despite the fact that both my parents work, I am the one responsible for financing my life. They really didn’t seem to get it. In fact, they seemed to think poorly of my parents for not supporting me. The fact that I’m 28 didn’t matter to them; I’m their daughter, so they should give me money.

I understand that one can’t judge a society based on the comments of a few middle school girls, but this definitely seemed to articulate a problem (in my view) facing women here in Korea.

I was talking with Gwen the other day about the difficulties she has had in finding reliable Korean English teachers for her school. The key word in that sentence is reliable. She’s currently looking to replace one of the Korean teachers – and while there are a good number of reasons for this, this woman’s reliability (or lack thereof) is one of the biggest issues. See, for this particular teacher (and, in fact, for a large majority of the Korean English teachers throughout this country) the income she receives from her job at Gwen’s school is purely disposable. The majority of Korean women tend to live at home until marriage, supported by their families. Once they marry, they are supported by their husbands. Any income they earn is simply extra, and thus disposable. This teacher lives at home, and is supported by her parents. When I first arrived here back in August, I had taken my camera out in order to take some pics of the school, and this particular teacher asked what kind it was. (I have a Nikon Coolpix.) She said she had a Nikon Coolpix as well, but that it was older, and that she was planning to get a new camera. Well, she showed up to the Halloween party with a brand new Canon EOS. I could feel my mouth drop and the drool start running out of it when I saw this thing. I would *love* to have such a camera, but as I don’t have $1500 to spare, I’m not going to end up with a camera like hers anytime soon. (I am in fact planning on upgrading, probably next year, to a Nikon D50, which runs around $600. To be honest, the idea of shelling out that much dough rather freaks me out, and you know how much I love photography!) But back to my point: When you don’t actually need to work, when your salary goes solely for unnecessary items, it’s hard to be reliable. You fall victim to the attitude of, “What’re they going to do? Fire me?” and you start doing things like sending a text message to your boss a few minutes before you’re due to start teaching to say you’ll be an hour late… and then you show up six hours late. (That’s an actual example of why Gwen’s looking for a replacement!)

I thought of this today, while reading a recent post and subsequent debate on the glass ceiling in Korea over at the Asia Pages. Go check it out, it’s an interesting read. I couldn’t help but wondering how much of the glass ceiling is held in place by a culture which insists on coddling women throughout their lives. Is it possible for a person to learn responsibility without ever being personally responsible for their own lives? I don’t know. What do you think?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could definitely go for some disposable income. Mmm, paydays at the AH.

Regarding my current/your former 'diabetic' neighbors, apparently they've been living in the abandoned apartment on the first floor. Nina M. has assured me that they're not threatening, just nepriatno. Fortunately, the landlord has drywalled and painted over the door, and now they're just sleeping in the lobby occasionally.

-Amanda

DCP said...

I wish my parents supported me. Wait, no I don't. They would never let me hear the end of it.

How do you put those category things on your blogs?

annie said...

Amanda - I had no idea people were living in that apartment. Well, when I lived w/ Nina M, there was a family in there. They moved out maybe late spring? After that, I just thought it was empty. Of course, if they were diabetic, that might explain the random syringes in the stairwell... Or Nina M. is simply choosing to believe that they're diabetic and not narkomanki as it's more priyatni....

Glenn - you have to update your blo to Blogger Beta. Then when you are creating your blog entries, you can place them in any category you create.

don said...

Hi Jane, I have a little Coolpix 5600 that I love. It works great for out doors and macro plus it is so small and with the flash turned off great on batteries. But like you I wanted a more advance digital but also was on a budget. I bought a camera Nikon no longer makes Coolpix 5700 second hand. It's an SLR but with a fixed lens in a metal body with hot shoe and all the manual and auto modes and you can change the ISO speed from 100 to 800 which is really nice. Plus it has a hot shoe. Same vintage and pretty much like the D50 that they still make.

My advice is to skip the D50 and shoot for a D70. By next year the price should come down as new models come out. But be sure to get Nikon lenses and not aftermarket. A lot of the image quality is about the lens.

The problem with digital cameras with removable lenses is that dust can get on the sensor. With a film SLR each time you advance the film it is fresh and without dust. Olympus came up with an ultrasonic vibrator that gets the dust off prior to each shot. It is on the Evolt models I think.

But I think you are wise to stick with Nikon. As long as it has Nikor lens. The big digital cameras are more difficult to master. I know a guy who has a D70 and also a guy who has the D200. But that Coolpix 5600 is a pretty awesome little camera in the right hands.

I enjoy your photos!

Matt Lipford said...

I don't know that it's truly possible to be "responsible" without first understanding the effect your actions have on the world around you, and/or being forced to deal with the repercussions of those actions.

I was thinking about getting a newer, nicer camera. But I am a little dumbstruck that cameras could be so expensive. I was thinking of maybe spending a couple hundred dollars or so. I can't imagine spending $1500 on a camera. But then, I don't take that many pictures. A camera would have to do some pretty amazing stuff to make it worth a grand and a half. Wow.

annie said...

Matt, If you're looking for a good quality point-and-shoot digital camera, I've got to agree with Don (see above) - the Nikon Coolpix is a great camera.

annie said...

Don - Thanks!

I'll see what the prices are on the D70 when I get around to buying a new camera. And of course I'll be sticking with the Nikkor lens!

Anonymous said...

I attribute the majority of my self-sufficiency to horrible parenting. I can't imagine growing up with stable parents and not having to worry about things like next meals and having a home (or having parents for that matter). It certainly breeds responsibility. It is even harder for me to imagine having a parent who paid for things now! I wish someone would pay all of may bills -- but I also take a lot of pride in being able to do it on my own and I wouldn't trade that.

Mitchel.

Jelly said...

I agree with your perception about things in regard to women in Korea, especially younger ones. I wonder if things will change? Now with a rising rate in divorces, women are sometimes having to support themselves and their families, and some have a hard time even getting a job because of attitudes about divorce and age. Quite a conundrum.

I have a Nikon Coolpix too! All the cool kids have one!