Thursday, November 16, 2006

I told you they were crackheads.

I got this email from my mom today, and definitely thought it was worthy of sharing. I've edited out the actual street names... you remember why I replaced them with Ass and Ass, right?

From the Waycross Journal- Herald 'Police Roundup' about an arrest:
"Waycross police said he ran a stop sign on his bicycle at Ass and Ass Streets; he was found to be in possession of a crack pipe and several pieces of crack cocaine."

On one hand, it boggles my mind that I had known drug dealers (known to the police even!) living nextdoor for nearly a year (they're gone now) and nothing was done... and yet they're stopping some chap for running a stop sign on his bicycle. The logic in this escapes me somehow. On the other hand, I'm very glad there's a police presence in my neighborhood, cleaning up my street, one crackhead at a time.

2 comments:

Matt Lipford said...

My guess as to the Police's inactivity with regard to routing the drug dealers would be that they either just didn't care (as in the dealers weren't selling "enough" drugs to necessitate being busted), or they were building a case over time.

The crack head on the bike just gave them an easy bust. Traffic violation. I would guess that the lions share of drug busts are due to traffic violations of one sort or another.

Anonymous said...

Yup, I agree with Matt. "Known" as in "everybody in the world with two brain cells to rub together knows" and known as in "known by a governmentlaw enforcement agency through non illegally-intrusive means" are not the same thing in a court-of-law. Dollars to donuts the cops were monitoring them, couldn't find a legitimate reason to tear the house apart, and were following the kid hoping for an excuse to pull him over when they got lucky.

Bob