Friday, June 01, 2007

I am my own worst nightmare.

When I was a student, from kindergarten up through my college graduation, I was the perfect student. I loved studying and always did my homework. Not to mention the fact that I made straight As. Now that I'm a teacher, I find myself wishing I had students who behaved like I did. Instead, I find that I have students who behave like I do.

Yes, I am still taking the Korean class at the YMCA. A couple of weeks ago I switched into the beginners class. Now that they've covered all the super basic stuff (like the alphabet, how much does this cost? and where is the bathroom?) it's actually right about my level. I can actually understand what's going on without having to rely on Gwen to translate for me. And I certainly love no longer being the dumbass of the group. Plus, that group just got a new teacher who is FANTASTIC. And yet for some reason I can't motivate myself to study or do my homework.

I have so many kids at my school who I know are smart, but who, for whatever reason, just can't be bothered to study or do their homework. They frustrate the hell out of me. And yet my Korean teacher may find himself feeling equally as frustrated by me.

I got off work an hour and a half early today. On my way home I thought "Great! I'll finally have a chance to sit down and do my homework and study!" I've been home for four hours now, and what have I done? Well, first I watched an episode of Battlestar Galactica. I was going to study, but then I discovered that The Bourne Supremacy was on OCN. Now, I had no desire to see this flick for its plot (and seriously, for an action movie this film was dull!) but I have wanted to see the parts filmed in Moscow for a long time. I should have just hunted it up on YouTube, as that would have saved me time and wouldn't have fogged my brain with the boringness that was this film. And perhaps I might have studied. And really, if you're looking for a car chase filmed in Russia, that scene where James Bond drives a tank through St. Petersburg is far more entertaining.

And now, instead of studying, I'm blogging about not being motivated to study. Why can't I get moving? Possibly because I have to share some YouTube finds with you:


This is the only clip of this scene I could find on YouTube and it's only 18 seconds long. What we have here is Pierce Brosnan, who has just stolen a tank from the tank museum near the Petersburg zoo (well, the movie makes it out to be a military facility, not a museum), and who then takes said tank on a joyride throughout St. Pete, chasing after The Bad Guy. In this tiny clip, Russophiles might spot the columns of St. Isaac's. (The entire scene is quite amusing in a sad way - he essentially bashes the tank through every beautiful and recognizable landmark of the Petersburg Center.)


This is the car chase scene in Moscow from The Bourne Supremacy. It's supposedly considered a "great car chase scene" but I think it's rather poorly shot myself. Perhaps it's just the seemingly superimposed onion domes which pop up periodically.



And because I was feeling nostalgic for Russia, here's an animated ode to Soviet Era architecture. (There are no words; you'll understand even if you don't speak Russian!)

Now I'm going to go study Korean.
Or curl up in bed with one of those books mom sent me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never have sent those books if I had thought they would prevent you from studying Korean! Altho at least reading is better for your brain than all that TV-ing. Just wait til you get back to Waycross and the only thing you'll get will be PBS!!

Gwen said...

Come on, Jane. You need to impress this fantastic teacher.

annie said...

Tonight. I'll do my homework tonight.

You know, because class is tomorrow. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Bad News BSG lovers. This was in my official TV news briefing this morning:

"After four successful seasons on Sci Fi Channel, Battlestar Galactica from NBC Universal TV Studio will end with 22 new episodes. The fourth season is scheduled to kick off in November. An official announcement is expected at a press conference later on today."

Hopefully they can wrap it up. I also guess that the prequel, Caprica, is officially dead as well. The executive producers and creators have moved on to The Bionic Woman and other projects. I just hope the supervising producers keep up the quality of work.

annie said...

I know - I'd already heard about that :-(

Let's hope they wrap things up satisfactorily!

Anonymous said...

The Ode to Soviet architecture come from a great movie, a Soviet classic "Ironia sud'bi...." Absolutely love that movie! Have you seen it? If not, I am sure memocast.com has it. Would totally trade studying Korean for it :)

annie said...

I have seen Ironia Sudbi, and loved it (athough I thought it surely could have ended a little earlier than it did....) Definitely a great film nonetheless!

MeeMee said...

Hello Jane,

My name is MeeMee.I'm Thai student.Google brings me to this page by chance and your text seduce me from my homework :p

I'm in the same situation with your article;i don't go to school bcos i try to finish my homework - - but 'till now, i get nothing because of facebooking, updating my blog,(and watching movie in someday). Like you said, i cannot motivate myself to study or do homework.It's real nightmare!

I understand that this blog was leaved for three years so you may not recieve my message, but if you see this comment,Could you please tell me how you manage yourself? What make you go back to study? I'm too long falling in this trouble and really want to quit :(

So pls give me some direction.
I'll be appreciate with your help.
You can ans me on this page or send me email:siripitcha.r57@gmail.com


Looking for your message and being your new friend:))


,MeeMee