Saturday, June 09, 2007

What a pain in the head!

I've had problems with headaches all of my life. When I was nine, the eye doctor promised my parents that the headaches would go away once I got glasses. Well, I did need glasses... but that didn't stop the headaches. When I was twelve, the orthodontist promised my parents that once my teeth were straightened out and no longer creating pressure in my mouth, my headaches would go away. Well, I do now have nice, straight teeth... but that didn't stop the headaches. Doctors were never able to come up with a cause for my headaches (well, except for the tension headaches I got while I was a Fed). I was lucky that up until last Sunday, not only had I not had a migraine since my 25th birthday (which made it the worst birthday ever, let me assure you), but I'd stopped getting headaches with such frequency. Unfortunately, for the past week I've been living off Excedrin and Tylenol and sleeping under Wellpatches - to no avail. While I haven't had anything as bad as what I experienced on Sunday, I haven't been pain-free either. I'd kind of forgotten what this was like. So I was wondering... do any of you have any headache remedy suggestions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sucks :/ thankfully I don't get migraines but even the slightest headache really gets on my nerves and stops me from getting stuff done.

if you don't know the cause you can only battle the symptoms, right? if excedrin and tylenol don't do it get stroner painkillers. i don't know if you need a prescription for stuff like codeine though.

L

Caroline said...

I have been suffering on and off with migraines for about 20 years but they have taken on a whole new level in last couple of years.

Have just had the mother of migraine sessions for the past 8 days! Have been to dr and now insisted that I have full investigation (MRI's etc) so off to orthopaedic guy tomorrow.

They often start with neck pain so that is our first port of call.

You have neck pain with the headaches?

anyway, great blog - feel free to check out mine http://dubaidaisy.blogspot.com

PS Have recently discovered Excedrin and it is the only thing that helps my headaches (that and an icepack on back of neck).

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Jane,

Lovely blog, sorry about your headaches. I used to get them quite often as well. My remedies?

1. Eat lunch, every day. If I don't, I will certainly get a migraine.

2. I am a caffeine addict, so I have to at least have a cup of coffee every morning.

3. If I still end up getting one, I take Excedrin (like others have said). Excedrin is basically a huge dose of caffeine + Aspirin.

Since I don't know your circumstances, I don't know what might bring them on. I wish you luck, love the blog.

Dave