Sunday, July 22, 2007

Boo :-(

Well, it seems that I won't be going to Siberia next month after all. See, in order to go to Russia, you need to have a visa. In order to get a visa, you must first receive a visa invitation from the person, organization or travel agency which is sponsoring your entry into Russia. The person, organization or travel agency must apply to a visa office in Russia to receive the official visa invitation. I had been told that my invitation would be ready as of July 18th, at which point they would express mail it to me here in Korea.

Once I had the invitation in hand, I would take it down to the Russian consulate in Busan to apply for my visa. Now, you can get your visa in one day... if you want to pay something like $400. The longer you're able to wait for your visa, the cheaper it is. As such, I was very much hoping to have that invitation in hand as soon as possible. Then last night I received an email saying that my invitation would not be ready until August 10th. It would still have to be express mailed to me... that starts putting me in the iffy super-close-to-departure zone (I'd planned to fly to Irkutsk on August 25th). It also puts me in the paying-out-the-ass-for-my-visa zone. Boo.

I thought about this late into the night last night (hell, I even dreamt about it), and I've come to the depressing conclusion that it's probably best to cancel this adventure. For one thing, I need to know for certain when I'm leaving Korea, so that I can make flight arrangements for Mia. I'd hate to have everything arranged for a flight home in mid-September, only to have to make last minute arrangements to fly home at the end of August. Especially since they might not be able to accomodate a cat on the plane at the last minute. I'm feeling pretty bummed about this, although I suppose it's for the best. I'm also wondering what I will ever use a sleeping bag that can keep one toasty down to temps of 0F (-18C) if not for camping in Siberia? Sigh.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like winter US camping trips to me. Not like you will have to take off work ;). There are some neat places to roam on the BlueRidge.

Anonymous said...

Take a look at this. Maybe your cat would be interested.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rChjMRfi40c

Anonymous said...

I bought my visa invitation online and had it emailed to me. It worked fine when I applied and received my visa. Try this place - www.waytorussia.com

Diana said...

I'm so sorry to hear your trip won't work out as you'd planned it. My best friend is travelling in Eastern Europe right now and also waited around in Lithuania for a Russian visa application that went nowhere, so just bad news there all around.

annie said...

Rob - True! Also, I figure I can use it to cut heating costs in the winter. That and sleeping in a bed with six cats. Assuming Mia decides to share.

John - While I found it amusing, Mia was wholly disinterested.

Josh - Thanks for the info. However, I've been rather disappointed in the lack of organization in the group I was planning on going with. As tempting as it is to simply use my tickets and roam Russia on my own, that would be out of my budget range. Between those two aspects, I've decided t just cut my losses and go home. Still disappointing though.

Diana - You should recommend that link Josh posted to your friend - I've heard great things about them before. Unfortunately, I've heard a bunch of Russian visa horror stories of late, so who knows.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that the trip fell through, that sucks. Alex and I have camping gear now, so maybe we can all go camping sometime after September 15 (comps) but before...let's say December, for obvious reasons.

Melissa