Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Because only *married* women have sex here in Korea.

I found this post at the Asia Pages this morning, and definitely felt that it was worth linking to and commenting on. I suggest that you all click on that link and read the post... but as I know that at least half of you won't, I'll go ahead and quote a little of it here.

...because I am not married, Korean hospitals throughout my time here have refused to give me annuals [annual gynecological exams] because as one former co-worker in Seoul told me, if I am not married, I should not be sexually active in the first place, and if I am not sexually active in the first place, I should not be at risk of any gynecological disorders.

Yes, I realize that Korea is a very conservative country when it comes to sex. However, this is a country in which fake hymen surgeries are
very popular - allowing non-virgins to appear virginal on their wedding nights. If only married women were having sex, there would be no need for these fake hymen surgeries, now would there? It boggles my mind that medical professionals would think that only sexually active women could develop gynecological problems.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It boggles my mind that medical professionals would think that only sexually active women could develop gynecological problems."

Especially granted that there have been reports saying up to 1 in 20 Korean women is involved in the sex industry!

DCP said...

Wow, that's pretty bad. But can I imagine a time when we could get like that in America? The answer is yes.

annie said...

I don't think it would ever get to the point where unmarried women would be denied papsmears in the US. While nearly all cases of cervical cancer are caused by the HPV virus (an STD), there are still people who develop cervical cancer for other reasons. Not to mention that the annual exam checks for other problems which can develop in *anyone* - regardless of whether or not the person being examined is sexually active. In the US, doctors recommend that all women, sexually active or not, begin receiving annual exams when they turn 18. It's a simple health issue, and I doubt that it will change.