Saturday, January 13, 2007

Sorry for the dearth of posts of late...

This intensive month at work is killing me. My body seriously requires substantially more sleep than it is currently able to receive. Instead of rolling out of bed around 11:00, I now get up three hours earlier, and it's amazing what missing out on those extra three hours is doing to me. Not to mention being at work for 12 hour stretches every day (as opposed to 7 1/2). Okay, so I *have* been taking naps at my desk at work during my lengthy between-class breaks, but somehow that's not the same as curling up at home. I've also noticed that there's definitely a correlation between fewer hours of sleep and more frequent headaches. Yuck. I've essentially been getting up, going to work, coming home, going to bed. Yes, I *am* going to pull in a lot of extra money in OT pay, but I don't think that compensates at all for my loss of physical and psychological wellbeing. Don't get me wrong, I knew all about these intensive hell months when I signed on... it's just serving to remind me that I made the right decision with this whole hermit thing. I would definitely rather have less money, more free time and less stress.

I slept until almost noon today. I was laying in bed, with Mia curled up next to me, encouraging me to continue laying there, when Mr. Yu (my landlord) came a knocking at my door. I stumbled over and received an invitation to accompany his family to "a market." To be fair, I think he did say the name of the market, I just wasn't quite coherent enough to catch that. So there I was an hour later, expecting some sort of traditional Korean market, when the Yu family and I rolled up to Costco! Anyway, Costco was having a special day where you anyone could join for free (well, you had to pay the $35 membership fee, but in return you got a coupon for $35 worth of free stuff from the store, plus a coupon for a free dozen and a half of eggs), and the place was packed. It took us over an hour to get our membership cards, the line was so long. Shopping with the Yus was definitely an experience. Mrs. Yu was a total free-sample hound. She made sure that each of us got at least two of every sample offered, sometimes more. Not the most exciting of excursions, I'll grant you, but I did come away with a new (non-flourescent) lamp and a very large amount of cheese - both items which are rather tough to come by over here.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My Costco membership card: Leeler? Well, at least it wasn't Killer!

That's pretty much all I've got for today,
so I'll leave you with some shots of Mia.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 comment:

DCP said...

Man, whenever I need to get up, it's instantly quashed whenever the cats lay down with me. Maybe they're a natural sedative or something.