Sunday, January 28, 2007

Yesterday I went in search of snow...

...and I found some. I didn't really set out to find snow; I actually set out to fetch another month's worth of Revolution from the vet. But after I was out and about, I decided that I should do something with my day. This crazy schedule I've had this month has certainly cut down on the things I do in my free time - I've essentially done little but sleep and read when I've been away from work - and I figured that as I'd already gotten over the getting-out-of-bed hurdle, it was as good a time as any for some sort of adventure. As I hadn't been anywhere near Palgong Mountain in over a month, I decided to make that my destination. And at the back of my mind lurked the idea that I might find some snow to play around in for a bit.

I decided to go to Donghwasa (Donghwa Temple), the most well-known of the temples on Palgong Mountain. I'd been there before, although
not since 2004. Not knowing what (if any) bus could take me from my vet's office to Donghwasa, I ended up hopping on and off a series of buses all heading roughly in the right direction, until I finally found my way to the temple.

Not surprisingly, it was much cooler up on Palgong Mountain than it was down in Daegu, and from the color of the clouds, I expected that it might begin to snow at any moment. I had been wandering around the temple for about half an hour when the snow began to fall - fat, blowsy flakes, which barely stuck - the snow fell for about twenty minutes, then the sky cleared and turned into a brilliant blue.

At that point, I began to feel a headache coming on, and felt that it was time to leave. Unfortunately, the headache grew worse, and I returned home to spend the remainder of the day in bed. Boo! I was worried that I was getting sick, although other than some aching muscles, I feel okay today... Anyway, on to the photos from Donghwasa!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This monument (I've no idea to what, as I can't read it)
is located across from the bus stop closest to the temple.
I took this shot because I liked the colors.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
After entering the temple grounds, one crosses a small bridge.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
View of the mountains over a small lake


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The first view of the temple


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The inner courtyard of the temple was strung with lanterns.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I love this shot of the lanterns reflected in the window.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
More lanterns!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I liked the lanterns, although they rather obscured my photos!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
In some places, small patches of snow were visible.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
More snow, more temple structures


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A close-up of the door to the building shown above.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It's difficult to tell in this shot, but it had just started snowing.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A closeup of small Buddhas left as offerings.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The snow began to pick up...


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
...and then it really started coming down!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
But in the ten minutes it took me to walk from the temple
to the nearby Reunification Buddha, the skies cleared.
(Note the people in this shot for scale!)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A closer look


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yet again...


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Look at the bright blue sky!
(And look at the large wasps' nest under his hand!)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is one of the many carvings
located behind the Reunification Buddha

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sooooooo pretty....now I want to go to Korea!
Remind me to tell you about the leftist koreans i met today. absolutely the most liberal koreans i've ever met, also they taught me the korean word for "environmentalist," which i didn't even know existed.

Anonymous said...

I want to leave Orlando. Why do people keep moving here? Great pictures! Melissa

Anonymous said...

Cool photos. Your pandaro station is highly listenable.

Guano Island

Anonymous said...

I just finished your great Prisoner book, and could almost have written it myself - about my time in 2002 teaching in a hogwan in Daegu. I did have nicer employers than you, but I chickened out after 3 months anyway. Lonely (didn't have a buddy as you did), and I was shocked at their treatment of misbehaving students (beatings with rulers). Have you been to see Gatbawi Buddah on Mt. Palgongsan? Do it! Wait till you're feeling healthy tho - the climb is strenuous. I was 61 yrs old then.

skyonsohn said...

'PalGong Mt., you call me.' This can be its traslation of Korean sentence on the monument that you took a picture of up there... I believe that sentence came from a famous poem...

annie said...

Moosh and Melissa - you should come visit!

Guano Island - Thanks!

h2ohome - glad you enjoyed the book! and yes, I have been to Gatbawi - click here.

soo kyoung - thanks for the translation!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the pics are gorgeous! I love that Buddha against the blue sky, our day there was all grey :)
Nicole