Wednesday, January 03, 2007

To what lengths would you go... (Part 2)

If you've read my post on the lengths Koreans go to see that their children get a good education, then you know a bit about the obsessiveness of Korean parents. Anyway, Korean school kids have no school during the month of January - no public school, that is. They still have hogwans - private academies, such as the one where I teach. Even though January is the winter vacation between the end of one school year and the beginning of the next, kids are still sent to the hogwans on a daily basis. Many hogwans take advantage of the fact that students have no public school to occupy their morning hours, and offer intensive morning classes. Our school is one of many hogwans offering intensives, which means that for the month of January my laid back schedule is no more. I'll be working an insane amount of overtime. On the one hand, this means more money, but on the other it means substantially less sleep. And you know how much I value my sleep. I'll do my best to keep blogging regularly, but if there's a post shortage in the near future, it's because I'm sleeping :-)

1 comment:

Khakra said...

i've read these private academies cost thousands and is a thing of prestige for korean parents.. if the kid is in a certain private academy, they get a better job. true? think i read this in the NYTimes...