Sunday, November 18, 2007

Finally! :-)

Four weeks ago, I mailed my application for a visa to the Embassy of the Kyrgyz Republic, located in Washington, DC. I had been told that visas usually take about ten days to process. The day that my package arrived at the embassy, I got a voicemail from the embassy. Despite the fact that their website did not say to include a prepaid envelope for them to use to return my passport, they wanted to let me know that I needed to send them one. The year-long visa for Kyrgysztan costs $300. Surely out of that they could've spotted me some postage... but no. Anyway, I called back, just to confirm that there wasn't anything else they needed. I called the main number for the embassy, and began by saying I recently applied for a visa, and was told I needed to include a prepaid envelope... at which point the man who had answered (remember, this was the main embassy phone number) said, Oh, you're Jane Keeler! I learned that all I needed to do was to send them the envelope, and I'd be good to go. I sent off my prepaid envelope the next day, and expected my passport with Kyrgyz visa to appear in my mailbox within the week. Three weeks later I began to panic. I called the embassy several times (during working hours) and no one answered. I left messages, inquiring as to the status of my visa... and got no reply. I sent an email to the London School, my soon-to-be employer in Kyrgyzstan, explaining my situation, and received the following reply:

I think there is a problem. Because visa procedure takes usually not more then two weeks. You need to check if they receive your passport and your visa application. Maybe through some related USA organizations. Because sometime Kyrgyz Embassy people might be irresponsible.

I read that and immediately started saying oh shit, oh shit, oh shit. Luckily, at that point I called the embassy one more time, and that time, someone answered. Like the first time I called, the woman who answered immediately knew who I was and why I was calling. She reassured me that my visa would be finished that afternoon, and they would send it off the following morning. I was intensely relieved, although I continued to stress over it until this afternoon. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, my passport has been returned to me, complete with Kyrgyz visa!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(I blacked out the important numbers...)

Also, in case anyone is interested, I'll be leaving for Kyrgyzstan on December 30th. I'll be flying Jacksonville-Chicago-Istanbul-Bishkek, and I'll be arriving in Bishkek at 2:10am on January 1st, Kyrgyz time.

10 comments:

Matthew said...

Woot. Sounds like a scary experience, for sure. Like, "WHO is using my passport? It's WHERE?"

Diana said...

Can't wait to hear about the new adventures! :-)

annie said...

Matthew - no kidding! although mostly i was just worried that they'd mailed it back, but the post office had lost it.

Diana - and I can't wait to go adventuring!

Kristin said...

Kyrgyzstan - what?! I definitely have some catching up to do on your blog ...

Unknown said...

Wow! You are totally on your way to Kyrgyzstan. Are you thinking about lighting anything on fire and taking pictures of it before you leave?

annie said...

One needs an excuse? :-)

I just didn't want Aeroflot to lose my luggage when I *wasn't* going to be able to return to their warehouse of lost suitcases to look for it, which is what happened the last time I flew them. Here's hoping Turkish Air is better...

annie said...

Rob - Yes! December 15-16. Coming?

Unknown said...

Woo. I would love to! I will get directions soon.

Khakra said...

Turkish Air's good, though you'll find some backpackers sleeping around Istanbul's baggage claim waiting for bags to come. Good call avoiding Moscow. And -- as you perhaps know from your past experiences, patience is a virtue will be a big virtue in Bishkek!

annie said...

Heh... I expect so! Ahh well...