Saturday, November 03, 2007

My continuing history of not having cancer

I was born with a whole bunch of moles and freckles all over my body. Two in particular, on my back, were rather large and irregular. While my pediatrician told my mother they were nothing to worry about, she did worry. And as I got older and learned about the signs of how to spot skin cancer, so did I. Additionally, throughout high school and my first couple of years of college, various people advised me that I should definitely have the two moles on my back - and possibly two on my left arm - looked at. When I was 20, I bit the bullet and went to a dermatologist in my hometown. He looked me over and thought that it was imperative that the two moles on my back, the two on my arm, and several others come off ASAP. Being young and naive enough to believe that my doctor was acting in my best interests (as opposed to the best interests of his wallet), I agreed. When the day for surgery came, he circled TWENTY-FOUR moles which he insisted needed to come off, including the two on my back and and the two on my arm.

Over two hours later, I was wheeled out of surgery with twenty-one sets of stitches, and one set of staples in my head. The two moles on my left arm were still there, still circled. As they were two of the four that I had originally been concerned about, I immediately asked. He said that he had decided they did not need to come off. (I was quite confused by this, as he had removed many smaller, less-irregular moles during the surgery, but again, he was the doctor, so I accepted this.) I would also like to just throw in here that my mom and I had been told that my surgery would last no more than half an hour; you can imagine how panicked my mother was when it took them over two hours. Also, one of the staples holding a bandage to my head went through my ear. Yeah. That was pleasant. And after all that, all of the 23 biopsies came back normal.

Anyway, over the course of the next year, the two moles on my back GREW BACK. That scared me back into the dermatologist's office. The doctor again insisted that they needed to be removed ASAP. Since there were only two, he did the surgery right there in his office under local anasthetic. A week later he called with terrifying news: some of the cells in one of the moles had come back as abnormal. Not that they were cancerous, simply abnormal. This could indicate cancer, or this could indicate nothing. He wanted to do another surgery to excise the margins. He explained that to me as the removal of a small area of skin surrounding the mole site. I didn't expect the surgery itself to be a big deal, although I was in a panic that I had skin cancer. Additionally, I was preparing to leave for a semester in Russia - and my plane left in two weeks. He wanted me to be in the surgery center under general anasthetic, although because of my departure date, this wasn't possible. Again, I was operated on in his office under local anasthetic. I was shocked, at the end of the surgery, to discover that the "small area of skin surrounding the mole site" was in fact a crooked, four-inch incision across my right shoulder blade. The result of this surgery was that I now look as though I have been stabbed in my back and stitched up by some ghetto quack. (You can see what the butcher did here and here, if you want.) The biopsy came back normal. I should mention that throughout all of the above I had health insurance, so all of those procedures cost me very little.

Despite all of the above, I have continued to fret over the two moles on my left arm that were not removed during the initial surgery. I knew all about the ABCs of skin cancer, and these two hit A, B, C and D. I was also pretty convinced that the bigger of the two ached, although that may very well have been in my head. I considered having them taken off and biopsied while I was in Korea (where not only did I have health insurance, but health care over there is reasonably priced even without it). However, I was worried that if the biopsies were to come back showing a malignancy... then what would I do? Stay in Korea for the entire length of my treatment, however long that might be? Or go to the US, and try and show an American doctor my Korean health records and try to convince them that I needed cancer treatment? I opted for having it done here in the US.

Now, the biggest problem with my life plan is that I don't have health insurance, and as we all know, the health care system in the US is seriously fucked up. See, the few times I went to the doctor in Korea, I just went. They checked me out, ran tests, gave me meds and sent me on my way at a very low price. Meanwhile, in order to get these moles off... first I had to "establish myself as a patient." This meant that for my first appointment they weighed me, checked my blood pressure, had me fill out some forms, and charged me $108. My next appointment was when they actually removed the moles. That cost $335 - but as I'd written before, had the moles turned out to be malignant, I would've been charged an extra $50! (There is no legitimate reason for that at all; they simply charge more for the removal of malignant tissue samples than they do for benign ones, even though they don't know the status of the sample in question at the time of removal!) Also, my doctor's office gives discounts (although not very big ones!) to those of us who don't have health insurance. Yes, that's right. If I'd had insurance, the insurance company would have been billed MORE for the exact same service that I was billed for. And people wonder why health insurance is so expensive. Additionally, the company which did the biopsy itself, has billed me $270 for the biopsy. Grrrr.

So, $713 later, and I still don't have skin cancer. Which is great, don't get me wrong, but that's an awful lot of money for nothing more than a new set of scars.

7 comments:

don said...

Jane, I'm very glad you are ok.

Huckabee has said that we don't have a health care problem in america, we have a health problem...or something like that. He says we should focus on preventive medicine. Today on Charlie Rose he outlined why some people don't have coverage, saying some were young and didn't think they needed it.

To him I would say people get sick or get cancer despite how they live. Cancer is touching my famliy right now. A person who didn't ever drink, didn't smoke, and never over ate.

I agree with you that the system broken. My view is that health care shouldn't be for profit and dependent on employment. There are those who say that socialized health care will have limits, but here were are with a very low unemployment rate and yet a very high rate of people who do not have coverage.

Sorry to get political on you. :)

How are you liking that Nikon camera?

annie said...

Don - Thanks! I'm very glad I'm healthy too. And no need to apologize for getting political; more people need to develop a sense of political outrage regarding the state of healthcare in the US.

While I think doctors should be able to make a profit (ie, enough to live on), the way things are in the US, so many people become doctors not because they want to help people, but because they want the salary that comes with it! You end up with people like Dr. Graper removing 23 moles, most of which did not fit the ABC guidelines, simply because I was a patient with insurance! I had a dentist in San Diego (back when I had dental insurance) who, after confirming that I did indeed have dental insurance, tried to sell me on all sorts of expensive procedures that I did not need. (Meanwhile, I had a tooth-cleaning and a cavity drilled and filled in Costa Rica for $25. I also had my teeth x-rayed and checked for cavities in Russia for about $5.) The whole state of the health care system in the US infuriates me.

***

Changing topics - I LOVE my camera. I have to be honest, I haven't really used any of the special functions much; I'm mostly just using the auto setting. However, one of my biggest problems with my previous Nikon (Coolpix E4600) was that damn "image is blurred" message that i would get pretty much any time I took a photo without the flash - whether the image was blurred or not! This problem is nonexistant with my new camera, which makes me very, very happy.

Anonymous said...

I've heard a different explanation for why you get a cash discount at the doctor's office. Doctors once had a set fee for services. Now, most of their business comes from HMOs. Doctors negotiate with HMOs to accept less money for each procedure in exchange for being in-network doctors. Therefore, doctors are getting paid less for their services from the HMOs. That's why it costs more to go to an out-of-network doctor. That's also why some doctors refuse to work with some insurance companies. Some doctors now give a discount to cash patients. I've heard that it is actually not as large as the discount that they give to the insurance companies. The rationale being that since they give the insurance companies a break, they should give the cash payer a break too, especially because they do not have to worry with all of those insurance forms.

So, I don't actually know if any of that is true or not. But, it is another possible reason for your discount.

BTW -- I completley agree that the healthcare system in the US is terrible and most be fixed. It makes no since for health care to be tied to employement status since the exact time that you CAN NOT work is when you are most likely to need health care. I do think that we should focus more on preventative medicine too.

Melissa

annie said...

Melissa - I've heard variations on those thoughts too; I've no idea what's true and what isn't. It just boggles the mind how much simple services cost here, whereas in other countries these same procedures are so affordable. We have the worst healthcare system in the developed world, and there is no excuse for it. Other than greed.

Anonymous - Is that supposed to be funny? Because it's not.

don said...

I'm a graphic artist at a printing company with about 30 people. Every year the insurance guy will show up in his Mercedes and raise our rates. Then we will have a meeting to decide what coverage to cut. What happens is that our deductable always goes up and we end up paying out all of this money and never meeting the deductable. Then if something serious happens it will pay. I guess/ hope.

For doctor visits and such it's just like not having insurance, except you pay out and get nothing back unless something radical happens to you. And if you have a spouse or kids you really pay. Most people can't afford to cover their spouse or kids, or they leave the spouse out and just cover the kids.

I stopped at a camera place called the Dark Room in Montana this weekend that had Nikon. I got to look over the P5000 and have the guy show me how it worked. I always try to get my hands on one to understand how it works before I get it if possible. It looks like a very nice camera. I know I would love it.

The one thing I'd always do with it is change the ISO manually. Low light go to high numbers and bright light go to low numbers. Just like picking out the right film. You can still shoot on auto exposure after picking out the ISO. I have two DSLRs a Fuji and a Nikon. The Nikon lets me pick the ISO and I always do that. (I do like to dictate the shutters and f stops also.) But usually I'll run my Nikon DSLR in shutter priority after picking the ISO speed.

Still, the camera I use the most is the little cool pix, even at work. Now and then it won't do what I want.

I want to check out the cheaper P50. It's not as nice as your camera, but if it will allow me to choose the ISO manually then I might get one of those. It has one manual exposure mode and usually that is the f stop. I wish it were the shutter. I won't know until I get my hands on one.

Anonymous said...

Jane, I know how you feel. I'm rather.. spotted.. shall we say. Being in Canada, though, I find things are a lot different.

My family doctor just takes one look at them and says "Yeah, they're OK" I've had one that was biopsied and came back negative, so they left the rest of it there. It was on my chest, so not a big deal. The dermatologist sampled a couple other moles, and they came back negative too.

Nothing out of pocket :)

Now, meds, on the other hand, are NOT free. Far from it. Mind you, they're apparently cheaper than in the US. Basically, it comes down to

"If you live in the US, you NEED health insurance, but usually any decent job will give it to you."

Now, since I don't like the whole google-knowing-all-about-you thing, I'm going to not use my login. Conspiracy theories and all, I majored in databases. I KNOW how much you can datamine :x

--Matt

Brooke said...

Hooray for Jane not having cancer, I say.

When I needed a crown put on my old root canal tooth (the one I had done in the US, incidentally, not the one from Russia), I sat down and did some math. It isn't cheaper for me to fly back to Russia and have it done there. BUT IT'S DAMN CLOSE.