Thursday, August 10, 2006

Metchnikoff Life and scenes from my apartment

Every day, midafternoon, the teachers at Oedae receive a dairy delivery. Now, I hate milk, but I'm perfectly willing to consume other dairy products, such as yogurt. I seem to have inherited John's (John is the fellow I replaced) order of one bottle of grape-flavored, yogurt-type drink per afternoon. This stuff is actually pretty good, and it's nice to come out of class and find it waiting for me on my desk. But for the past few days, I've been wondering about its name. See, it's called Metchnikoff Life - with Metchnikoff being quite a Russian sounding name - and it's got a black and white picture of a very non-Korean fellow on the bottle. Well, wikipedia seems to have the answer. There's a fellow named Ilya Ilyich Mechnikov, also known as Eli Metchnikoff, who (among other things) "worked with Émile Roux on an ointment that would prevent people from contracting syphilis, an STD. He also developed a theory that lactic acid could prolong life, and drank sour milk every day to prove it." (read the entire entry).


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I'm drinking it every day - Metchnikoff would be proud!

As per request, here are some more photographs of the inside of my apartment.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Living room as seen from the couch



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Bedroom



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I still need to clean/organize my kitchen.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The living room is wholly unremarkable (and unfurnished!)
but it has an incredible wooden ceiling.

4 comments:

don said...

That is a really cool vanity! I've never seen anything like it. (hope you don't mind my looking in)

annie said...

i like it a lot. samson got it for gwen ages ago, although she apparently never really liked it that much... so she gave it to me.

Anonymous said...

Dude Jane. That's one seriously kickass chair. Looks like you have a very nice aparment.

So is the internet incredibly fast and cheap? :/

Laylur.

annie said...

i'm not sure how much the internet costs (haven't been billed yet) but it's uber fast, unlimited, and gwen says it's roughly $30/mo. i'm in heaven. well, except for the sweltering heat - although i can tolerate that better than i could last winter ;-)