Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Well, it wasn't a cat-burglar!

You all know that I have the ability to sleep anywhere and through almost anything... but there's one thing that will snap anyone living alone, myself included, out of a deep sleep: something scratching at their door. This morning, shortly before 6:00, I was awakened to the sound of something scratching at my bedroom door. No, not the door leading from my bedroom to the kitchen, but the door leading from my bedroom to the back porch. Well, I hate to call it a "porch" as that's quite a misnomer. I do have a small balcony off of my foyer/entry-room, and it could be called a porch. The back porch is more of a narrow access-way/storage space that runs across the back of my floor of the building. It's about a foot and a half wide, and remarkably dirty. After checking it out on my first day in the apartment, I locked the door to the "back porch" and set a rack of clothes in front of it, never planning to open said door ever again. Then, at six this morning, something was there, scratching at my door. I got up and tiptoed into the kitchen and peered out the window, looking up and down the porch in both directions. Nothing. Was it my imagination? Had I dreamt it? I crawled back into bed... but no sooner had my head hit the pillow when the scratching began again. I returned to the kitchen and still saw nothing. I concluded that as no person could crouch on my porch without being seen from the window, it *must* be an animal. I slid the clothes-rack out of the way and opened the door... and found Toto, the Yu family rabbit. Now, Toto (sadly pronounced more like tah-tah) usually hangs out either in his cage on the first floor porch or in the yard. He's avoided me pretty consistently since my arrival, slowly hopping away the few times I've tried to pet him. Well, this morning was different - he was feeling very playful. He wanted to climb all over me, nibble on my arms, hands and pajamas, and be petted. I've never known a rabbit to show this much personality! (Just about the opposite of those boring poopy-bunnies Melissa and I had here back in 2001!) I played with him (her?) for about 15 minutes before deciding that I really needed to go back to sleep. I did take some pictures though. It's good to know that to grow the rabbits is allowed :-)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh...my...GOD. How fecking awesome is that, a family rabbit! XD His name should've been Totoro, not Toto.

Now I want me a big soft Totoro-like Korean rabbit. :/ Send me one?

L.

annie said...

Well, I essentially live in a family compound here... and the rabbit has the run of the place. It's just that usually it runs around in the yard. I didn't return it, although it was back down in the yard when i got up...

Pia said...

I was a big fan of your Wonderland site--unfortunately, I read it after I started working at Wonderland, but it isn't so tough anymore and I only have three months on my contract left.

Anyway, I owned two bunnies in California, and they weren't so affectionate...but I still want to have one here. Toto is too cute!