Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Killer strikes again.

My last name is Keeler. That's K-E-E-L-E-R. It's pronounced keeeee-ler. Kee, like a car key. No, I am not related to Helen Keller. One would think that this would be obvious given the spelling difference, but you'd be surprised how many times I've been asked.

Speakers of a certain Southern African-American dialect (the sort that usually
metathesize ask into aks) inevitably pronounce my last name as Killer. I've always found this odd, although it's never really bothered me. (Well okay, it bothered me once. In 7th grade I had an English teacher, Mrs. Williams. Not only did she frequently say "If you have any questions, please aks" but she called me Jane Killer every day when she called roll. Every day I corrected her, but she never got it right.)

Flash forward into my Russia-travels. Килер is the Cyrillic transliteration of Keeler. It is pronounced just like Keeler, but with a Russian accent. Imagine any stereotypical cold war movie villain saying my last name and you've got it. Congratulations: you now know a word in Russian. You see, Килер is a cognate meaning (you guessed it) killer, or hit-man. This was actually fun to use in class in Russia, as I could remind my students that they'd better behave as I was, after all, Jane Килер.

Today I went to the bank downstairs from my school in order to set up a bank account. My banker is a very nice man, who speaks English quite well, on account of having studied English for a year at Indiana University Bloomington. He and I talked for a while as he set up my bank account (using the correct information located on both my passport and resident alien card) so that I could collect my first paycheck. (Woohoo!) He gave me his card and said that whenever I had any banking business, I should come straight to him instead of waiting in line. Cool! He also told me that I looked like a Russian woman. I took this as a compliment, although Gwen says that in this country it's not a compliment at all. (Okay, so the bulk of the Russian women in South Korea are hookers... Is he saying I look like a hooker? Well, as I think Russian women are the most beautiful in the world, I'm going to take it as a compliment!) Anyhow, I got back upstairs, and pulled out my newly created bank-book. Just take a look at what I found:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sigh.

8 comments:

Caitlin said...

It's just a terrible trait of some dialects of American English, unfortunately. (Think: don't you know some folks from Georgia who "pill" their "pitches"? Strangely, those same pilled pitches have "pee-its" inside.) Of course, that does not excuse the Korean guy. Some parts of Indiana are definitely quite southern in dialect, but I doubt the IU campus is one of those parts.

Joanna said...

Puck you, Jane Killer!

Aaron said...

That's funny about the Koran guy and Bloomington. I have no illusions about the way many local people in my part of southern Indiana speak the English langauge, although most of the worst offenders are in no way affiliated with my alma mater.
We were talking about this post around a cup of tea today at the AH and Joanna entertained us with stories of Jane "Killer."

Anonymous said...

Could have some usefulness upon your return to the Hermitage at the corner of Ass and Ass....

~Matt~

Anonymous said...

KILLER JANE!

That's even better than Jane Killer. Now you sound like you could be in a Dick Tracy movie.

Anonymous said...

That was me (Brooke R) btw. :)

annie said...

i KEELER you! :-)

Unknown said...

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Sylvester/ltsy_049.wav

Tweety and Sylvester probably dates me.