Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Pension Update for Americans in Korea

Just wanted to give anyone who might be interested an update on the pension status for US citizens living and working in Korea (this does not apply to people covered by the USFK-SOFA agreement, but to those of us here on our own, teaching English and whatnot). I went to the pension office today with my boss. I had to bring my passport, alien registration card, and plane ticket (to prove that I was indeed leaving). I filled out a bunch of forms (which said things along the lines of "Agreement between the United States and the Republic of Korea concerning the distribution of pensions" and which required my Social Security Number), and provided my US bank account number and routing number. My boss also had to complete a form of some sort. We were then informed by the very pleasant pension office fellow that the money would be transferred into my US bank account sometime within the next two to three weeks. I'm slightly concerned by this, as it's not like I can pop down to the Korean Pension Office from Waycross, GA if by October I'm still missing my pension, but everything did seem quite above board. I'll update this when (fingers crossed!) I receive my pension money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you got your pension money back. I didn't after teaching in Switzerland for a year: I was not eligible because of my age.