Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Scantastic! Costa Rica 1995

Long before the annoying tourists of the world discovered and developed Costa Rica, Melissa and I were there. This was back in 1995. We were 16 years old, and spent three weeks traveling about Costa Rica with Melissa's older sister Brenda, who had just spent a semester there studying. Anybody remember the old 110 cameras? Well, I had one when I went to Costa Rica in 1995; it was turquoise. I just scannned in 22 of its pictures. You know you want to see them - not only do you get to see Costa Rica before every square inch was covered in condos, but you get to see how ridiculous I looked when I was 16. And what was with the Indiana Jones hat? Sigh. The things we do when we're young. Anyway, go here to check them out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures and I think they turned out great, esp. considering your camera! I especially love how horrible we both look in the bathing suit picture and our "dressed for a night on the town picture"! Also, I remember at the time thinking "OMG, why is Jane wearing that crazy hat? How embarassing!" But when I looked back through the pictures yesterday I thought "That hat is not so strange for what we were doing." So it's funny that we seem to have switched places on that topic.

I want to go back to that place. It no longer exists in CR, but it must exist somewhere, right?

Melissa

annie said...

Nicaragua? Hondouras? I don't know. The thing about CR was that it was *safe* - I'm sure there are places in Central and South America which are comparable to 1995 CR in terms of beauty and lack of tourists... but I'm worried those places might be somewhere like Colombia.

Regarding the pictures - I did only scan in the best from the album; there were quite a few terrible shots. Like the ones of us at the mirador in Manuel Antonio where my flash wasn't strong enough to illuminate us, so we were just black blobs against a gorgeous backdrop....

Anonymous said...

I was in Costa Rica in the early '80s- so there ... ;-)

Guano Island

Anonymous said...

I was in diapers in the early '80s. :)

Melissa

annie said...

Yeah, I don't think we would've been old enough to appreciate CR in the early '80s, but I wish we could go back in time for a visit to the CR of 1980!